• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" and front driveshaft hitting exhaust

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
I searched out, and while there are many threads about this problem, none of them has pictures (that are still online) neither any idea how to solve this problem.

This seems to be well-known problem at this size of lift, and I can't believe that there is no faq or howto for fixing it.. Maybe I should just go up for another 1.5" or so :D

Anyhow, I've asked at muffler shop if they could bend this (down?) pipe a little bit for more clearence, and their answer is that they are unwilling to mess with it (unbolting these rusty bolts) ..

How hard is to remove this pipe ? Only two bolts up and some at cat ?

Thanks.

I forgot to say that I do not have adj trackbar, and have drilled another hole in bracket, but this just made it worse, as it shifted entire axle further towards exhaust. So I just put it back in original place.

I had the exact same problem with a four inch lift, rubbed right throught the pipe, it occured mostly i 2wd and on rh corners. The cure was to loosen the two pipe to manifold bolts where the dohnut is and shift the exhaust over and relocate and weld the first exhaust hanger. Never heard a noise since.

I have had this same problem with my 3in procomp lift. i just kept bashing my downtube out of the header with my axle as i articulated. now it doesnt hit anymore. (because it has been hit so much, it is dented in where the axle cycles up near the exhaust.)

problem fixed ;)

i was lucky though, that i had no tears, and thus, no exhaust leaks.

oh yeah, so basically, the problem is solved in my opinion. my axle never rubbed the exhaust on the street, only during flex.

You might need to look into an adjustable track bar to recenter the axle under the Jeep. The odd thing is the axle tends to go to the drivers side when you lift which should be pulling the pinion away from the down pipe.

Back