• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power antenna

Not sure on the XJ's, but on other rigs the power antenna was accessed by pulling the fender liner. There is a bolt at the bottom of the antenna power unit, then remove the ring on top that the antenna itself runs through. You should then be able to remove the power antenna unit. You will need to unplug the antenna lead from the radio to completly remove the antenna unit. Personally I like the flexible rubber antenna's on Jeeps they take a ton of abuse and do a good job pulling in stations. Good Luck

Woody

I'm looking at the flexable stationary antennas. The one we have stopped working and is bent to hell. I'm just not sure how you get at the mounting hardware of the antenna. Even with fender liner removed, there is just no room in there.
Wa Woody said:
Not sure on the XJ's, but on other rigs the power antenna was accessed by pulling the fender liner. There is a bolt at the bottom of the antenna power unit, then remove the ring on top that the antenna itself runs through. You should then be able to remove the power antenna unit. You will need to unplug the antenna lead from the radio to completly remove the antenna unit. Personally I like the flexible rubber antenna's on Jeeps they take a ton of abuse and do a good job pulling in stations. Good Luck

Woody

I have an 89. I just took it out by removing the fender liner. The antenna wire and the power wires run thru the pass. side kick plate and thats where everything will unplug.

How did you unbolt the power antenna from the inner side wall?

debacle04 said:
I have an 89. I just took it out by removing the fender liner. The antenna wire and the power wires run thru the pass. side kick plate and thats where everything will unplug.

I just replaced my fender, and IIRC, there isn't any room for a wrench without taking the fender off. Taking it off shouldn't take you longer than a couple hours. First remove grill and front nose piece, second, loosen bolts behind nose piece (use some penetrating oil), and then the ones when you open the door. Lastly, remove the bolts that are in the engine bay.
When you're put everything back together, don't tighten it right up. You may find that there is a lot of slop to allow you to match the lines of the door, front nose.

HTH

Seth

I just did this on Sat. night. Took me 1.5 hour's to remove the power and put in a manuel antenna setup. My fender flare bolts aren't rusted so that made it really easy to get the inner fender panal out of the way. 2 little bolts release the power motor, and there is a screw down at the base of the antenna. remove the pass side kick panal, unhook the relay and antenna wire (hardest part if you ask me) push the wires/gromett through the kick panal. and your done. I went from a busted power antenna that was bent to hell and didn't work for the last 7 years to a dealer replacement manuel with wire, base, mass and but for 23 bucks shipped. and that antenna can come off on the trail so no more bent antenna. Juice

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/moparonline.htm

Back