• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft hitting exhaust

Twisted Copper

NAXJA Member #962
Not good...
Anyone ever have this happen? The axle is slightly off center towards the pass. side, but hardly noticeable.
It happens only when hitting real hard bumps, but when it does, it hits hard and loud!
Why is this happening and what is my solution???

fromfront.JPG

d-side.JPG

fromrear.JPG

This was happening to mine when I got DW. It actually punched a hole in the stock pipe, so I had to modify things a bit. Probably wont prevent the driveshaft itself from hitting the exhaust but it shouldnt hit on the yoke part and punch holes everywhere. Waiting on gears for the front is the reason for no driveshaft in the pic.

IMG_0003.sized.jpg

First you could try adjusting your track-bar to pull the pull the axle more to the driver-side.

Second, and this isn't going to help you because it looks like you have a customer header, is you can actually have a muffer shop shorten the top of a new stock downpipe buy 1 1/2".

Third, you could lift the vehicle more :)

BrokenXJ said:
First you could try adjusting your track-bar to pull the pull the axle more to the driver-side.

Second, and this isn't going to help you because it looks like you have a customer header, is you can actually have a muffer shop shorten the top of a new stock downpipe buy 1 1/2".

Third, you could lift the vehicle more :)
:wstupid:

Option 1 is a must. Re-center your axle.

But option 3 is probably what I'd do :gee:

I'm trying to find an adjustable trackbar locally. No one has in stock except a dealer 1 hour away has some coming in Monday. This is a skyjacker unit. Are they any good or should I just order a JKS or RE one and wait for it to be shipped???

I was unaware of the header being aftermarket. Can anybody tell me from those pics if it is stock? I can take more pics if needed.

I'm not going with more lift anytime soon. The 4 and 1/4 or so I am sitting at now is perfect for the tires I have on there right now. This thing is a daily driver and will see some trails but I have another rig for the hardcore stuff.

BrokenXJ said:
Your picture show two pipes coming down which is definately not stock.

Anybody got a pic of the stock pipe? Maybe the axle not being perfectly centered is not the main problem...

It didn't hit before I lifted it. Now I know I need a adj. trackbar anyhow, but now I'm not so sure it will fix this problem.

...more lift, 'eh? Hmmmmm....

That would neccessitate doing a SYE, which would raise the DS back up (I currently have a Skyjacker TC drop kit on there now). That and the properly centered axle would probably do the trick
icon10.gif

Twisted Copper said:
Anybody got a pic of the stock pipe? Maybe the axle not being perfectly centered is not the main problem...

It didn't hit before I lifted it. Now I know I need a adj. trackbar anyhow, but now I'm not so sure it will fix this problem.

...more lift, 'eh? Hmmmmm....

That would neccessitate doing a SYE, which would raise the DS back up (I currently have a Skyjacker TC drop kit on there now). That and the properly centered axle would probably do the trick
icon10.gif
If you're still running the factory length track bar, then there is the reason why you're hitting the exhaust.

When you lifted it, the body was basically pulled to the left, which moved the exhaust into the travel of the DS.

Get the adj. TB and you will get your geometry back to where it should be.

More lift without a longer TB will only make the problem worse.

C'mon y'all, this isn't rocket science.

Okie Terry said:
When you lifted it, the body was basically pulled to the left, which moved the exhaust pipr into the travel of the DS.

Get the adj. TB and you will get your geometry back to where it should be.

More lift without a longer TB will only make the problem worse.

C'mon y'all, this isn't rocket science.
Ok... raising the jeep to the left would move the DS away from the exhaust,
BUT...
I relocated the trackbar in the stock mount by drilling a new hole. Apparently it is not perfectly centered, it is actually over-compensated a little - so I know I need the adj. trackbar. The problem is there isn't much adjustment needed from where it sits now so I'm not so sure the problem will be solved.

Twisted Copper said:
Ok... raising the jeep to the left would move the DS away from the exhaust,
BUT...
I relocated the trackbar in the stock mount by drilling a new hole. Apparently it is not perfectly centered, it is actually over-compensated a little - so I know I need the adj. trackbar. The problem is there isn't much adjustment needed from where it sits now so I'm not so sure the problem will be solved.
Duh. You're right. When lifted, the body is pushed to the right (damn loud kids).

But when the suspension compresses, the body is pulled to the left, moving the exhaust into the path of the DS.

I SHOULD have said this the first time.

Ok... I was just under there looking at it again. How should the pinion angle be? The DS is in a straight line back to the 2nd joint. That's what I want, right?

When I put a longer set of LCA's on there, I'm assuming it will angle the pinion downward some, which may clear the DS from the exhaust better, but will the pinion angle now be an issue?

I know, I know - this is why I should have just bought a RE kit that already had all this $#it.

I put a RE adjustable track bar on there today and had it aligned - again.

Not hitting on the same spots it was before on the road. What little bump-steer I had is now gone too. Looking forward to hitting a trail with the swaybar disco'd to give it a better test.

I've held off on the control arms for now, but I definately plan on adding them in the near future. I guess that will be front end alignment #3 :mad:

This is a common issue with these xj's. Stock and modified exhausts, no to significant lift, control arm length and track bars all play apart in the path that the pinion will take.

It may be extremely difficult to stop it from rubbing in all extreme cases, but you should be able to minimize it with propertly alignment and track bar.

HTH,
Michael

Back