• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft hitting exhaust....

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently got around to working on the xj again and noticed that i have a nice dent in my exhaust. Im running a 4.5 lift with an i.r.o. Trac bar. The axle seems to be centered with the jeep. I measured the tires to the fenders and the inside frame rail to the knuckles and got the same amount on both sides. Im running the stock exhaust with the stock mounts and everything. I dont understand why my ds is hitting now. It didnt used to do that before and i had the lift on with a stock tracbar. I have had the jeep down for some time now but im working all the kinks out before i put it back on the road. Any one else have this problem. What am i missing?

You are aware that most stock exhaust downpipes have an intentional dent in them, in order to clear the axle? Perhaps this is the dent you see?

David Bricker / SYR

You may likely already know about the factory dent, but I feel compelled to ask...are you certain it is a dent the Drive shaft created and not the factory DS clearance "Dent"?

Definitely a new dent, not the factory dent? The factory puts a crimp in there for driveshaft clearance - let's just be sure you aren't talking about that one.
Otherwise... your motor / trans mounts have sagged and the exhaust is now closer to the pinion.
Though, really, with a 4.5" lift... this shouldn't be happening at all.
Got pics?

No its not the factory dent. It's a new one. All new motor mounts fabbed by myself. I don't know how to post pics from my phone. My pc took some crazy pills

When you installed the lift, did you bump stop it accordingly?
On one of my earlier projects this happened to me as I was more worried about travel and didn't bump stop it after the lift.

Is it hitting all the time, or just under certain conditions, and where do you see it hitting?

I am at 5.5" and my rear drive shaft hits the muffler, but only when going uphill. Sounds like an air hammer pounding a steel pipe when I climb. I decided it was probably due to body shifting. I only noticed it hitting when I switched to the 8.8 Ford rear end.

This is on the front axle. Not bump stopped. I haven't full stuffed it. It was just from going down my dirt road. Maybe I'll try to shift the exhaust over. I might have not centered it on the coupler correctly. Worst case I'll take it to a shop and have a new setup done. Just trying to see if I might have over looked something.

Back