• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWERTRAX® No-Slip in a Dana 35, Sand and Mud

xsubarudude

NAXJA Forum User
Toying with the thought of installing POWERTRAX® No-Slip lockers in front and back of my XJ. From what i have read,, they are OK in the front Dana 30 but that the rear dana35 is much too week for a locker. However i wouldn't be doing any rock climbing , my area is mostly sand and marsh. Will be running 32's
Anyone with experience with a locker in a Dana 35?

I know I know !!!1

Last edited:
What size tires are we talking about? I have not damaged a Turdy5, bot only have run 31's

Dont do it. Almost everyone I know who has installed one of these has had nothing but problmes with them. Myself included. The thing broke after 3 months and Richmond Gear would not honor the warranty for something they addmitted was their fault.

Swap in a 1997-2001 XJ Chrysler 8.25 and lock that. For $100-150 you can have an axle that is almost as strong as a Dana 44. I love my PowerTrax No-Slips.

i ran the powertrax no slip in my d30/d35 combo on my tj for about 2 or 3 years. only problems i had with them were ones i created. never touched the d35 locker after i put it in. i was running 35" baja claw radials. you'll be fine with some 32's and lockers

There are actually two questions....

Are the D35 axles strong enough to tolerate a locker?
For a short period of time depending upon how agressive you are at driving and what kind of terrain you do your offroading....

Are the D35 axles strong enough for tires larger than stock?
If you are running 31s you will probably be safe, but larger than that you increase the chances of twisting or snapping the axle. When you put a locker into the equation and are crawling in 4LO; you will almost definitely break an axle once you go past 31s....

I ran a No-Slip in my '98 C 8.25 w/4.56s and 32s for almost 2 years in a variety of terrains without any problems.

Last edited:
There are actually two questions....

Are the D35 axles strong enough to tolerate a locker?
For a short period of time depending upon how agressive you are at driving and what kind of terrain you do your offroading....

Are the D35 axles strong enough for tires larger than stock?
If you are running 31s you will probably be safe, but larger than that you increase the chances of twisting or snapping the axle. When you put a locker into the equation and are crawling in 4LO; you will almost definitely break an axle once you go past 31s....

I ran a No-Slip in my '98 C 8.25 w/4.56s and 32s for almost 2 years in a variety of terrains without any problems.
Thanks for that very clear and reasonable reply ;)

I have had a D35 with a Detroit Locker in it for +-5 years. I wouldn't have chosen it, but I had a broken jeep, and the axle with locker in it was $100.00

That said, it has lasted far longer than I expected. I have had an 8.8 ready to go for 4 years, and having a spare axle on the shelf has not inspired conservative driving :)

I Just talked to a Jeep mechanic . He informed me that the C 8.25 is not a good axle for a lifted rigg due to a design flaw. Evidently In a lifted vehicle with the 8.25 when the axle has been aligned properly with the driveshaft, the front pinion gear does not get properly lubricated because of the design, making it a poor choice for a daily driver with a lift.
HE strongly urged keeping an eye out for a 87 d44. Evidently the d35 and d44 both have a "troff" that allows the ring to sling oil up to the front pinion bearings better than the c8.25
Wow,, just no substitutes for training and experiance. ;)

I Just talked to a Jeep mechanic . He informed me that the C 8.25 is not a good axle for a lifted rigg due to a design flaw. Evidently In a lifted vehicle with the 8.25 when the axle has been aligned properly with the driveshaft, the front pinion gear does not get properly lubricated because of the design, making it a poor choice for a daily driver with a lift.
HE strongly urged keeping an eye out for a 87 d44. Evidently the d35 and d44 both have a "troff" that allows the ring to sling oil up to the front pinion bearings better than the c8.25

You need to find a NEW informed mechanic!

Yea find a new mechanic, tons of people are runnign 33's and 35's on 29 splines with no trouble. Im sure if what he said is true one of the tons of people using them would have foud out by now.

It actually sounds like it's fairly plausible (i haven't messed with an 8.25), but in reality i doubt you're going to see any problems.

Also, if what he says is true, it will ONLY be true for a stock driveshaft configuration. If you switch to a double-cardan (e.g. if you lift it enough to need a slip yoke eliminator) then you will have the axle at the stock angle anyways.

Basically what i'm saying is: a D44 would be nice, but it's probably not gonna happen (they're hard to find). The 8.25 is nearly as good, 10x as available, and if you're worried about starving the pinion then you can spend the money you save on a SYE--which you'll probably need eventually anyways.

I have run a 29 spline C8.25 for 14 years in many different terrains including doing Moab, Utah and Clawhammer in Johnson Valley with good results.

He's partially correct. When running a SYE the pinion of the axle will be pointed up at a higher angle than stock. This increased angle will lead to oil starvation of the outer pinion bearing if the fluid falls below the recommended capacity. This is why many of the aftermarket 8.25 covers have a raised fill port. This allows you to run more fluid in the diff and helps prevent starvation of the outer pinion bearing.
Now, it's not really that big of a problem and I wouldn't worry about it too much, but this design flaw did cost me a 8.25 a few weeks back. There was a slow leak around the diff cover. When I drained the fluid I recovered just over 1.5 quarts. This let the outer bearing starve and seize.

It actually sounds like it's fairly plausible (i haven't messed with an 8.25), but in reality i doubt you're going to see any problems.

Also, if what he says is true, it will ONLY be true for a stock driveshaft configuration. If you switch to a double-cardan (e.g. if you lift it enough to need a slip yoke eliminator) then you will have the axle at the stock angle anyways.

Basically what i'm saying is: a D44 would be nice, but it's probably not gonna happen (they're hard to find). The 8.25 is nearly as good, 10x as available, and if you're worried about starving the pinion then you can spend the money you save on a SYE--which you'll probably need eventually anyways.

Thanks for your imput, much appreciated.

He's partially correct. When running a SYE the pinion of the axle will be pointed up at a higher angle than stock. This increased angle will lead to oil starvation of the outer pinion bearing if the fluid falls below the recommended capacity. This is why many of the aftermarket 8.25 covers have a raised fill port. This allows you to run more fluid in the diff and helps prevent starvation of the outer pinion bearing.
Now, it's not really that big of a problem and I wouldn't worry about it too much, but this design flaw did cost me a 8.25 a few weeks back. There was a slow leak around the diff cover. When I drained the fluid I recovered just over 1.5 quarts. This let the outer bearing starve and seize.

A lot to think about with everyones imput. I really appreciate it.

My 8.25 had no problems at 6" of lift, shimmed to the proper angle. No problems after the SYE either. I wouldn't worry about oil starvation any more than any other axle. Don't let a leak stand and you'll be fine.

I don't know what line of BS this mechanic is feeding you but it's just that, BS. There is no oiling flaw in the 8.25. Any rear axle you change the pinion angle in because of lifting could affect oiling. It's not a flaw it physics. When you tilt the rear end to align the yoke with the drive line, only done with a SYE, the pinion bearing is elevated but it is still below the center line of the axle tubes. The fill hole of the rear diff cover is also way above the axle tubes, so how are you starving the pinion bearing of oil unless you are very low on diff oil to begin with, this is not a possibility.

Back