• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
Im new to these forums... also a bit of a new driver, with my new(to me) jeep.

I figured that i would lift it and do all sorts of other things to it.. but try and keep the cost down as much as possible.

here are some pictures. please comment.

and the $2300 +$100 down to buy the jeep.
the only con.. is that the rear bolt holes in the frame are torn out. where a bumper went.

220,XXX miles

It looks good.

First word of advice.. go wheeling with it. :D

Actually the worst advice but bastard pack your leaf springs and get V8 ZJ coils. Then put some 31" M/T's on thar. Get the feel of it then go bigger? Skids? Gears? The possibilities are endless unlike my money supply.

Hang out on here read, search and learn.
Pick up a haynes manual unless you already have one.

That's a nice looking Jeep. Depending on where you intend to take it, and how hard you intend to wheel it, you may find that it's pretty capable as it stands without modification.

If you are a new and relatively inexperienced driver, I would recommend that you do little if any modification on it to start with. A stock Cherokee is a pretty safe and stable platform, but once you start modifying it, its road manners may become less polite. I'd wait until you have more mileage on it, and until you've tested its limitations off road, before deciding how to modify it.

Of course, if you just can't resist the image of big tires and lifts, brush guards and all that stuff, then that's what you'll get, but play around with it as it is first. You may be pleasantly surprised, and at least then you'll know what needs to address first.

By the way, on the trail, you'll find the 5-speed geared a little tall. It's much more comfortable in low range, even just for noodling down easy logging roads and the like.

First modification for offroading should be tow hooks and a hitch so you have someplace to attach for recovery. Then at the very least a come-along or hi-lift jack, or a buddy with a winch. Also find the local Jeep group and try to go with at least one other vehicle if you venture more than walking distance from civilization.

Thanks for the tips yall... i dont know of any groups around here... im sure i could find one if i try... i did take it through some mud the other day, had a blast. but i do plan on modifying it the more experience i get. i dont plan on putting everything on it and not know how to use it correctly.

theres much i have to learn and hopefully i can learn some of it here.

I live in North Texas. any suggestions of any groups around here?

Matthew Currie said:
That's a nice looking Jeep. Depending on where you intend to take it, and how hard you intend to wheel it, you may find that it's pretty capable as it stands without modification.

If you are a new and relatively inexperienced driver, I would recommend that you do little if any modification on it to start with. A stock Cherokee is a pretty safe and stable platform, but once you start modifying it, its road manners may become less polite. I'd wait until you have more mileage on it, and until you've tested its limitations off road, before deciding how to modify it.

Ditto, take it out, start simple, and discover the limits, your limits may be more than the cherokees. A stock cherokee with some All terrain tires is a very capable beast.Most of the prowess comes from the driver. As you damage something, upgrade. Thats my philosphy. Dented the bumper? (Very easy to do, the stock bumpers are light wieght and not tough) get a bigger one that fits your sriving and wheeling style.

i live in Lewisville, Texas. and the bumper idea sounds great... cause i could also use it to push some people off the road... not to sound stereotypical. but the illegals here just sit in the middle of the road(in cars) and look at you like your stupid for wanting to get through.

Back