• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2N49 Maintenance, THURSDAY Jan 14.

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I'd still like to get the downed trees off of 2N49 before somebody gets hurt. I think I can play hooky from work on Thursday the 14th after I return from a business trip, anybody game to go?

I'd be wanting to leave the house stupid early so I can do the work and be back home by 6PM in time to pick Sebastian up from after school care.

Anybody care to join me? You'll need either 4x4 or be willing to leave your vehicle at the bottom of the hill.

Re: TENTATIVE: 2N49 Maintenance, THURSDAY Jan 14.

I could help on Sunday

Did you end up going? I'm a scrub newish member, but I'm fairly close in Pasadena and wouldn't mind helping out. My rig is mild (4wd/3" lift/31"s) but it's rebuilt and solid. I also have chainsaws and the like, and don't mind getting dirty. I'm free Fridays, and some Sundays (unless there's NFL games or the girlfriend wants attention :) )

You're always welcome, keep an eye here for updates.

Unfortunately we cannot use chainsaws without being certified by the USFS (as volunteers we're technically on the government's clock). One of these days I need to get my cert.

I got the widow maker tree cleared with winch work and some axe duty. I'll post photos/video later.

:greensmok

I have to get my rear axle swapped over so I can join you in the fun.

:greensmok

I have to get my rear axle swapped over so I can join you in the fun.

The red axe misses you. I'm not nearly as good at wielding it as you are!

Very cool! I didn't realize that there were two pieces up there.

TENTATIVE: 2N49 Maintenance, THURSDAY Jan 14.

Very cool! I didn't realize that there were two pieces up there.

It was from the same tree but broken most of the way through as it sat. As you saw it didn't take much pull to break it of.

Some photos from the day:

Somebody left us some gifts at the trailhead, how nice of them.
LR-20160114-001-me.jpg

Unfortunately I did not have my trailer so bagged them for later pickup.
LR-20160114-005-me.jpg

What a difference five days make:
Saturday, when I broke down:
IMG_0048-me.jpg

Thursday:
LR-GSA-20160114-003-me.jpg

The haze covering San Bernardino.
LR-GSA-20160114-004-me.jpg

Here is the target. The widow maker. A dead tree that fell over in high winds and came apart, the upper section getting hung up in other trees and dangerously hanging over the trail.
LR-20160114-007-me.jpg

LR-20160114-008-me.jpg

LR-20160114-010-me.jpg

As you can see it's broken partway through and hung up in the neighboring standing trees.

As shown in the video earlier I hooked cable up to the tree and took it down in stages. All in all it took about an hour forty-five minutes to bring them down and clear the debris from the trail.

LR-20160114-012-me.jpg

LR-20160114-015-me.jpg

I had to leave this tree as it sits. If I tried to winch it I would have just pulled my Jeep, I'll need another vehicle or two to anchor against if I'm going to pull this down.
LR-20160114-017-me.jpg

Another tree over the trail. Getting this one down will be tricky.
LR-20160114-019-me.jpg

Looking over Lake Silverwood.
LR-GSA-20160114-005-me.jpg

LR-GSA-20160114-006-me.jpg

More gifts for us at the water tank area.
LR-20160114-021-me.jpg

And gone.
LR-20160114-023-me.jpg

I found these remnants of an inner fender and washer bottle near the end of the trail. Somebody must have broken their dad's car.
LR-20160114-024-me.jpg

I was able to get creative with stowing the inner fender on/in the Trashahroo and made my way home.
LR-20160114-025-me.jpg

It was a good day of hard work but fun, the tree posed a fun challenge and some good abuse of my winch line.

Any chance of finding any identifying information in the garbage? Would certainly be nice to bust those who seem to think the forest/desert/trails are their personal trash can.

David Bricker / SYR

Any chance of finding any identifying information in the garbage? Would certainly be nice to bust those who seem to think the forest/desert/trails are their personal trash can.

David Bricker / SYR

I have found identifying information before but there is no real way to know if they dumped it themselves, somebody dumped it for them (i.e. paid somebody to clean up then the person dumped), or were a theft victim and the thieves sorted the crap from the good stuff there.

Oops. Brainless post.

Last edited:

David Bricker / SYR

Makes me want to camp out with a bright flash on the DSLR.

I would think they would not appreciate all the dumping going on right behind them. I wonder if it would not be worth asking them for permission to access their back yard for maintenance of a game camera or some other sort of motion activated camera system. It would need to be mounted a bit inside their fence so that folks could not reach it from the outside. Probably just a matter of setting a pole.

I would be willing to contribute to the cause.

I would think they would not appreciate all the dumping going on right behind them. I wonder if it would not be worth asking them for permission to access their back yard for maintenance of a game camera or some other sort of motion activated camera system. It would need to be mounted a bit inside their fence so that folks could not reach it from the outside. Probably just a matter of setting a pole.

I would be willing to contribute to the cause.

With the distance involved I think we'd need something a bit more stout. A DSLR taking a shot ever few seconds, maybe.

Back