• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm Back, I Guess?

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'll put this here since no one reads this crap anyways, no reason to call it an "other build". I went out with Andrew and hit Spring Creek a few weeks ago. Instantly questioned what I'm doing with my life and bought a Jeep. Picked this up from a CoPart auction and was really surprised to find one so quickly. I wanted a '96-'98 Limited XJ, 5.2 or better with the sunroof delete package (pretty hard to find). It had to be clean and it had to be dirt cheap. So I present to you my sub $2k ZJ. Two owner (1 from 1997 - 2012), sold new in CA lived its whole life in Washington. It was a donated vehicle, runs and drives, clean title. And I'm sorry Troy, it's green.

Plans are tons and 37s, and it will take me forever to build. It takes a backseat to anything the house needs and the house needs a lot.

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

Last edited:
Gross.

:shhh:

I know nothing about having too many projects and good intentions.

I give it 4 months.....lol.

If you're not adding like 10-15 inches of wheel base you may as well stay at 35s and keep it on a 30/8.8 or 30/d44 since it wont really do much more on 37s than 35s and a 105 ish zj stock wheel base isnt going to be a ledge or waterfall killer on a full body .

What about some jk axles ready to bolt in (Tnt trusses) With 5.13s rcv shafts front and rear, Detroit front spool rear. Aluminum steering setup and trailready converted jk moabs.

That would speed the build up a bit...

Tons and 37's?

Why not just build the axles as it, put it on some 33's, and enjoy?

I wouldn't go tons, unless you plan on body damage...otherwise stock axles will do.

I'd likely be able to build a whole 'nother buggy before you'd get that scope done :D

What about some jk axles ready to bolt in (Tnt trusses) With 5.13s rcv shafts front and rear, Detroit front spool rear. Aluminum steering setup and trailready converted jk moabs.

That would speed the build up a bit...

You just have some ZJ swapped JK axles laying around? It would speed it up but would also speed up the cash outlay. So unless you only want $1,000 for all of that I'm out. :helpme:

Tons and 37's?

Why not just build the axles as it, put it on some 33's, and enjoy?

I wouldn't go tons, unless you plan on body damage...otherwise stock axles will do.

I'd likely be able to build a whole 'nother buggy before you'd get that scope done :D

Y'all are drunk if you think I'm going to put money into a LP30 and a D44A. Also, I want to actually wheel. My trip to Spring Creek made me realize it's not 10+ years ago when I had my green XJ. Everything is so dug out even 35's are starting to be borderline. I also think it's silly to say tons = body damage.

It's not going to take any more effort swap in an 8.8 or HP44 than a 60/10.5. Though I am bummed Artec discontinued their ZJ Sterling truss. And yes, forever means it will take forever to build.

Last edited:
You are starting with a perfect platform and 100 percent correct on 37’s, 35’s are not enough anymore. Just bought super Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 for under $800.

You are starting with a perfect platform and 100 percent correct on 37’s, 35’s are not enough anymore. Just bought super Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 for under $800.

A 318 isn't much power the weight of a set of 500+ pound axles larger tires and some unibody beef up will slow a zj down quite a bit on the highway . 37s and 35s can both live on a rig with d30/d44 that only sees moderate trails like chinamans and spring creek. 37s won't get you much if any further down the trail than 35s most times especially if you're only doing the moderate trails I listed . There's a difference between building a rig you plan to ride behind a tow rig and do moderateto extreme trails and do them mostly without a winch VS a moderate weekend trail rig you plan to drive to only moderate trails .. sometimes a set of 500+ axles don't make sense.

You just have some ZJ swapped JK axles laying around? It would speed it up but would also speed up the cash outlay. So unless you only want $1,000 for all of that I'm out. :helpme:

I do have all that under my 4 linked xj, would only need upper control arm mounts in the rear but I have those sitting on the shelf.

It's not going to take any more effort swap in an 8.8 or HP44 than a 60/10.5. Though I am bummed Artec discontinued their ZJ Sterling truss. And yes, forever means it will take forever to build.

Put down the pipe DJ :laugh:

37's on tons while definitely doable, you'll also find yourself dragging a bit.

I'd go 14 bolt over 10.5 all day.

But, it's not just getting the axles under there, its alllllllllllllllllllll the supporting crap to keep the unitcrap body from eating itself.

There's a reason I've said I would never, ever, ever go above 35's and half tons on anything without an actual frame again.

Only issue I see if the 05+ 60s are gigantic and on 40s hang up on everything.
I think 37 is a great tire size for small body stuff. Knowing how you do things, you'll go to a smaller dimensions axle setup and keep it clean.

Did you get your ZJ yet?

There are so many things I like about the ZJ platform but there a bunch of things I dislike. It is a love-hate relationship.

Did you get your ZJ yet?

There are so many things I like about the ZJ platform but there a bunch of things I dislike. It is a love-hate relationship.

Yessir, it's sitting in the driveway. Haven't quite landed on what to do with it yet, it's a bit more beat than I expected. Not ruling out buying a built rig so I can just get out and wheel. Time will tell.

I reckon you should put a cheap 2" spacer lift on it, acquire a used set of tires with some worthwhile tread and wheel it.

Back