• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation - Super Simple!

XJawgi

NAXJA Forum User
My old man is building up his 95 XJ. One of the things he wanted to do is mount the alternator on top, because he has fried way to many alternators in the past. I did this modification last year, and he actually was the one who machined my bracket for me. You can see my method here:

http://www.jeepskool.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=291&p=2396

The reason why I'm posting his method is because he simplified this modification without making any special brackets what so ever and used only what he had. I think its genius, and honestly never saw this method before.

Also, before I start - this does involve removing the AC compressor - there are a lot of compelling arguments to keep the compressor for on board air, or to use a TJ or WJ ac bracket. Thats is fine if you wish to do that, im simply showing another EASY method without searching for new parts.

So here goes it'

My method involved using a pre 91 Renix style AC bracket. Basically the bracket has bolts that go through the front of the bracket to hold down the compressor. The 91+ 4.0 used an AC bracket that has bolts that go through the top to secure to the bracket. This is the style my dad had. I also had my old AC bracket off my 00 which he used for mock up and final installation.

You first start off with this:

IMG00115-20090521-1554.jpg

This was the bracket off the 95. It has an idler pulley, in which my 00' did not have. The pulley will get in the way if when you move the alternator to the top. So if you have this style bracket, simply unbolt the pulley.

Next you take the actual factory alternator bracket that bolts to the side of the engine. It looks like this:
IMG00113-20090521-1553.jpg

You will end up putting the alternator bracket on top of the AC bracket like this:
IMG00117-20090521-1555.jpg

You also want to make sure the side rib of the alternator bracket lines up with the rib on the AC bracket like this:
IMG00119-20090521-1556marked.jpg

Before you do that, there are a few spots you need to grind down. Basically you want the factory alternator mount to fit flat on top of the AC bracket. The AC bracket has some webbing on top. You will need to grind down the spots shown here:
IMG00115-20090521-1554grindaway.jpg

Unfortunately, I was not there to take a picture of the final bracket when it was ground down. So you just have to keep checking until everything fits smooth and flat.

Now you need to grind down a few spots on the bottom of the alternator bracket like this:

IMG00118-20090521-1555grindaway.jpg

You dont need to grind everything completely away, just enough to make sure you have enough clearance to fit flat and smooth.

Once you have those brackets fitting smoothly, you will need to drill some holes to mount the two brackets together. So place the alternator bracket on top of the AC bracket (making sure the side ribs are lined up like mentioned before.) Mark and drill the rear two holes of the alternator bracket through the AC bracket. Then drill two more holes a couple inches below the holes you just drilled. Make sure you stay clear the webbing of the bracket to make things easier. I circled where he drilled his holes here:
IMG00113-20090521-1553holesmarked.jpg

After you completed that step, bolt the alternator bracket through the holes you just drilled to the AC bracket. I didnt catch what size bolts he used, but you can figure it out. Then simply bolt the alternator to the alternator bracket with the factory bolts like this:
IMG00120-20090521-1557.jpg

IMG00121-20090521-1558.jpg

IMG00122-20090521-1625.jpg

There is one more thing you need to modify before you plug your alternator in. Theres a connection that you need to unbolt and flip.Its the black connector on the back of the alternator. If you dont flip it, it will interfere with the AC bracket.

He used a 71 1/2" belt. Its pretty easy to figure out the way the belt is installed, but if anyone needs a diagram, i can draw one up.

So thats it. Only thing that needs to come out of your pocket is a few bolts, and a new belt! Hope this helps!

That's got to be the longest "super-simple" anything I've ever read...

Robert

love the right up! love the idea im starting this soon!

**small high jack**

if i wanted to use this right up to mount a second alternator (i have ALOT of aftermarket addons) would it be as simple as meantioned or? i know there will be some wiring but? anyone done this?
thanks
-chad

If you dont have an AC compressor then thats a great way to do it. Personally I love AC when its 105* outside though.
Still a good write up for some. Thanks.

Thanks for that write up, that seems like a good way of doing it.

love the right up! love the idea im starting this soon!

**small high jack**

if i wanted to use this right up to mount a second alternator (i have ALOT of aftermarket addons) would it be as simple as meantioned or? i know there will be some wiring but? anyone done this?
thanks
-chad

Would this be 2 independent systems with separate battery etc or one system with two alts?

looks a way to go mod!

however in the finished pic, it seem as the belt dont have much of contact with the fan pulley so id be concerned that will cause slippage with a tighter fan clutch as the popular ZJ HD fan clutch could causes.

so how the belt thing do for you??

Your right, it doesnt contact the fan pulley as much as I would like. But it does have enough contact for the fan to still operate. I have had this on my personal jeep for 2 years and have had no over-heating issues. This particular setup has been on my dads jeep for a few months now with no overheating issues as well.

As far as the ZJ fan, im not to familar with the swap, so i dont know if that will interfere or not.

Thanks for the writeup. The comments on the fan still working fine sure help - two years is a decent amount of time to test that. The pulley is backdriven anyway on the flat, which makes it obvious not much power is needed to do the job. After all, it has it's own clutch from the factory, and over thirty, the rad usually gets all the air it needs.

For a northern or trail rig, it's a nice simple mod. Thanks for putting in the belt length, no parts book ever lists alternate stuff like this simply because the factory never did it. You'd be surprised how many guys blame countermen because they don't know the hot rodded belt lengths of hundreds of 15 year old cars.

good work thats genius and ive been thinking of trying to get rid of my ac anyway, so relocating my alternator and having the belt length already is very nice.

A couple people have commented on the belt length... My old man had 2 jeeps at the time. He performed this modification on one jeep, and used the length i listed above. He then performed it to the other jeep, and the belt was to short. So, my word of advice is to double check the measurement before you head to the parts store.

Thanks for the idea! I'm in the process of doing this now. Gutted my A/C and just have to grind down the brackets now and drill holes etc.
Do you have pics of the alt bracket bolted on before the alternator got bolted on? Just so i could get a better idea of how his bolts worked out..

ps- I realize this is 3 years old haha.

Is it possible to do this mod and keep the idler pulley up top so you can keep the original belt routing so it keeps as much crankshaft/waterpump contact as before? Also im getting rid of the fan and going to electric so thats one less thing to worry about.

Yes.... on the renix; use the method that re-uses the renix banana bracket, and fab a 2nd one... basically the outlander method., then replace the bolts that hold the fan on with shorter bolts. Way easier than the method listed above...

For H.O. you'll need to fab a bracket to hold the alternator.

I got the relocation done but didnt bolt it or locate it exactly as it says in this write up... it wouldn't have worked. Definitely alot of finicky work and grinding of the alternator and a/c compressor bracket to get it positioned the right amount forward and with the right angle on the pulley. I used 3 bolts and ended up with a 77.5" belt, this is on a 98 XJ 4L.

I used the older XJ rad hose and also had to cut the lip off my battery tray and massage the fender well with a BFH so I could reposition the battery straight, not at an angle as it is factory or it would hit the alternator...

All in all, I guess it is "simple" but does take time and creativeness.

Seems like a shit tonne of work... i unbolted it from down below, and rebolted it in up top, only fab/modification i had was to drill 2 3/8ths holes in a peice of metal about 1.25" apart, and clearance that bannnanna bracket. a couple new bolts, and a 1/2" washer stack... done.

K.I.S.S.

Grinding alternator case's for clearance is stupid.... have fun when you blow an alternator on the trail, or even the street. I can replace an alternator in 15 minutes, without having to grind anything. And thats a CS-144...

Back