• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Creek 8/8/08

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else wanna go?

I'm taking the Truggy up, and some friends are gonna run my '96.

I gotta do a marathon t-case swap and some other fixes but we're looking at a late morning meet in Dumont at the Burger King.

I haven't run Spring Creek since my CJ-7 and many moons ago.....

I might be interested, definitely would be a challenge for me now that i have an XJ, 31's and a factory trac lok?

Don't count me in yet I need to install my gas tank skid plate and swap in those 760x shafts, do not know if I can do a marathon swap in like you......... :)

Spring Creek won't even be a challenge for the Truggy...... the other rig, my '96 is equipped similar to yours - 3.5" lift, 31's, Powertrax locker. Should be able to do that with some attention paid to the correct lines and maybe some rock stacking in a couple areas.

planefixer said:
Troy is going wheeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared: party1: :guitar:

:D
Without pictures, it didn't happen.

I don't think I can really go, need to swap in this stuff, as I tempt fate every time out without a gas tank skid on....

I definitely would like to try this trail out again soon....... its was a blast last time I went, which was like ages ago.

Didn't Troy give Dutch and somebody else grief a month back for trying to setup a wheeling trip? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh...that thread!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=959443

YELLAHEEP said:
Ok, what's with you and this "Dutch" guy 'wheeling every weekend? Must be transplants from another State..... REAL Colorado guys don't actually 'wheel.

Get with the program or we may have to suspend the both of you from the Chapter.......

:D
That explains all the comments about my "stock Cherokee." It's code for: "Oh crap, another native!" After all, natives don't wheel. We take scenic drives through the mountians, but we don't wheel.

So nobody can tell my wife I'm trashing her station wagon because natives don't wheel...I guess I'm OK with that.

Pics would be awesome Troy!

REAL Colorado guys don't actually 'wheel.

Indeed.

I'm making an exception because I have friends coming in from out of town (Read: non-natives). If it weren't for that - I'd be strippin' an XJ of it's parts.......:spin1:

Well we had a blast! Spring Creek trail has gotten REALLY washed out.

The first obstacle - the off-camber rock face wasn't the hard part...... it was the really loose sand/river rock all the way up to it. The Truggy's light weight rear just allowed it to fish tail around but it climbed just fine. It went up the steepest part of that rock.

The '96 didn't fare nearly as well. The mud hole just before the climb clogged the BFG AT's into mud slicks.... The area just before the rock face was washed into a deep "V" and the '96 got pretty sideways - had to winch it up just to be safe.

The Truggy certainly had no problems going anywhere I pointed it except for that one obstacle near the top of the rock garden - the one with the undercut rock ledge by the tree. It's so dug out that it swallowed the 37" tires. I tried several angles, but it wasn't gonna be.

Then..... apparently I didn't take the right way at the end of the trail and ended up getting quite lost...... had to ask a couple of locals for directions to get back to Dumont. Dunno where we actually ended up but we came out by the Phoenix Mine about 5 miles east of Dumont on the service road below I-70.

Long day, but fun. My friends had a great time and one of them took pics and video - hope to get that posted up soon.

Hypoid said:
Without pictures, it didn't happen.

:video: :video: :video: :eyes:

Don't tell me you shot with film only.

Hypoid said:
:video: :video: :video: :eyes:

Don't tell me you shot with film only.

No it's all digital, but I don't think my buddy remembered to bring his USB cable for downloading so it may have to wait until he gets back to Michigan.

Ok, so my buddy with the camera wasn't much of a shutter-bug. And for some reason, snapped pics BEFORE the rigs got on the obstacles..... I think he may have been too busy watching in awe...... :D

This is the entrance:
DSCN4100.jpg

This is mid-way up the entrance - the tires were too slick and I couldn't pull up/over that rock, had to go around....
DSCN4102.jpg

Just before the "big" obstacle in Rock Pile:
DSCN4105.jpg

Winching the '96 up the first obstacle...... before it got too tippy.

Trying to get over the "big" obstacle in the Rock Garden. I tried all kinds of angles and approaches, but the under-cut ledge to the right was too deep. This approach only resulted in walking the rear pinion/driveshaft all over the rock:

Last edited:
Damn, Truggy is a beast. I am mad I did not have money for it.

BOUT TIME! ...............Hypoid won't be satisfied, he will say you photo shopped it :)

.....juz kidding. Cool pics!

Really wish I had the time to go then.There is always sometime this month?!? With all this damn rain and last weekends issues I ran into problems and did not get a chance to finish the work on the Heep. Now I found out my mother in law is coming to stay with us for awhile and we are going to have this young man we took wheeling to MSV/Coney move in with us in Sept.

...........So now I have to build a wall in the basement family room to create a 5th bedroom..............

...... I can dream of wheeling can't I?

Back