• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on air impact gun. Can I operate impact with 2.4SFCM?

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4 gallon 1 horse power twin tank (double stacked,2 gallons a piece) craftsman air compressor. It says it can produce 2.4 SFCM@90PSI. I was wondering if I would be wasting my money if I bought a impact gun to run off this compressor. Is my compressor to weak?

I wouldn't bother--A lot of less expensive guns need about 4-5scfm@90. Your's might be able to do it, but I think the compressor would be running all the time trying to keep up. Bigger tank would give you better results.

save up for a better compressor. i learned the hard way. my IR gun will run at about 6cfm and 25cfm under extreme loads when in reverse and doing ~700#s. my 10gallon husky tank wasnt cutting it. id run the gun for a couple seconds then i would need to wait for it to refill. it got old real fast haha.

my 2cents

NfSALD said:
If thats the case, buy an electric. No waiting, unless it waiting for the bolt to come loose :sunshine:

electric impact guns can get pricey. but they are quite useful when a tank isnt avaliable.

It depends if you plan on constant use or not. It's a pain to wait for the pressure to build back up.
I use my air ratchet much more than I do my air impact. Snug it down, then break out the old torque wrench to finish tightening.
For non critical jobs, I have an antique Black and Decker electric impact with torque settings, at 10 pound (five pound actually) increments.
My criteria for buying a compressor is one that will start and run at 15 amps, 220 volt and I can (just) lift into the back of my truck. I tend towards, a larger compressors and slightly small tanks.
It's hard to get a compressor with enough watts, that can be used in a common outlet, that produces enough air to do everything (much of anything). Available fuses and the power supply is relevant.
I have two gasoline motor, powered compressors. The five horse will power anything I've ever wanted to do, the three horse I can lift myself.

Back