• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ radiators, a review.

I am guessing that you did not do the cargo area?
I ask cause I am going to do something similar, have taken some measurements, but am curious as to how much square feet this will take for 1 layer over the entire floor.

Nope. Didn't feel much heat coming up there and I've got a trunk box covering the entire rear floor area. Most of the heat seems to come from the transmission, cat and muffler.

Little of both.
Why I am a little undecided on what to use.
But whatever it ends up being thinking 110 sq. ft. will be more then enough.

Is that a fabric padding? If it is I'd be concerned with it absorbing water. The original insulation got soaked on mine and cause my floor to rust top down. I used the noico stuff from Amazon. Sound deadener mats followed by their closed cell foam and then a rubber mat on the trans tunnel. Brought the interior temp down considerably.

Is that a fabric padding? If it is I'd be concerned with it absorbing water. The original insulation got soaked on mine and cause my floor to rust top down. I used the noico stuff from Amazon. Sound deadener mats followed by their closed cell foam and then a rubber mat on the trans tunnel. Brought the interior temp down considerably.

Foam

well I'll post up on the summit radiator. First good trip on it. 3 days of up and down 5,000' (15,000 total) and ~400 miles of highway and wheeling miles. Outside temps ranged 78-92 degrees. Engine temps stayed 210, few times the temps came up to 220 on the long passes but dropped back to 210 when the aux fan kicked in. So happy with it.

well I'll post up on the summit radiator. First good trip on it. 3 days of up and down 5,000' (15,000 total) and ~400 miles of highway and wheeling miles. Outside temps ranged 78-92 degrees. Engine temps stayed 210, few times the temps came up to 220 on the long passes but dropped back to 210 when the aux fan kicked in. So happy with it.

Good to know. I am still on the fence as to which way to go in replacing my 15 year old Summit,....another Summit or the 2-2" core Aluminum Mishimoto.

Thanks for the update. My Summit Radiator is working great (knock on wood) as it's been in the 90's (not supper hot for an Oklahoma Summer) and driving around town in stop and go traffic my temps never go over 205 F according to my scanning tool. OE Gauge is also showing that range. Not a lot of uphill or slow climbing but sitting in traffic w/the AC going has always been a test for my XJ. :)

Looks like Spectra may have changed things up a little.

Fittings are not removable.

Some 5/8-18 IF x 6AN dropped right in, and are working leak free.

Overall, impressed so far with the quality for what it is.

I will note as others have however, that the inlet/outlet are blocked a bit.

But so far, holding temp just fine.

How is that Spectra treating you?

I put one in my '90 to change over to the newer style system. After replacing the first radiator cap with a Stant Leverlock, and finally buying a stock puke tank, the radiator neck where the cap sits is oval shaped.

I'm not sure I want to warranty the radiator.

My Napa one, just a rebranded Spectra, has been good these last 6 years.
Have replaced my radiator cap, also a Napa one, once in that time though.
And every 2 years in April like clockwork I swap out my anti-freeze always using distilled water.

this has been my experience with my new mishimoto this summer. uphill grinds can push to 220 in 90+ heat but the aux fan comes on and brings it down.

How is that Spectra treating you?

I put one in my '90 to change over to the newer style system. After replacing the first radiator cap with a Stant Leverlock, and finally buying a stock puke tank, the radiator neck where the cap sits is oval shaped.

I'm not sure I want to warranty the radiator.

Still holding up just fine.

Drove it to COFest and back, wheeled, etc. and it held reliably under 210.

Only time it got too warm was Led and I on Chinamans, stopped since his was getting warm...and mine did as well.

So I guess I haven't updated this in a while.

I was getting a tiny bit of rust in the cooling system coming from the block on my engine, and the mishimoto radiator kept clogging up. I cleared it with a CLR soak and flush a couple of times, and then replaced it with a Spectra that was $40 on amazon.

I run way cooler on the Spectra.

So I guess I haven't updated this in a while.

I was getting a tiny bit of rust in the cooling system coming from the block on my engine, and the mishimoto radiator kept clogging up. I cleared it with a CLR soak and flush a couple of times, and then replaced it with a Spectra that was $40 on amazon.

That is why I think my Napa, rebranded Spectra, radiator is just fine too.
I am not out there rock crawling and whatnot like the rest of you guys, my Jeep is just a DD, but I have let my XJ idle in the driveway for long periods of time.
Doing this or that.
Like when my CPS was acting up. And then again after I replaced it. 45 minutes. Maybe an hour.
Assuming my gauge is right, and I did check it with an IR thermometer at some point, never goes above 210.
Unless I am running the AC. Then slightly higher.

Good to know.

Its amazing how many people go to the cheapest radiator on planet and it fixed their cooling woes

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Good to know, I run those too. Spectra Premium is easily one of my more favorite parts suppliers, their tech support is top notch, they've actually emailed me mechanical drawings on request before when I was designing something custom. I've never found another parts house that's willing to do that on OEM equivalent parts.

I'm glad you guys have had good luck w/ Spectra radiators. I had to go thru 3 before finally getting one that didn't leak, have a busted plastic cap/neck or have the wrong transmission line connections the last time I used them (1 year back). This was on my son's 2005 Subaru Outback... but still the same basic plastic/aluminum design. If they work, they work ok for the price. I'll still stick to my all metal radiator as long as I can. :)

Back