• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another power door lock thread

HotBox

NAXJA Forum User
So before I start I just wanted to say, in the past my previous XJs have had intermittent door lock issues and specifically the power window on the front passenger side not working

In the past, simply fixing the broken wires inside both front door jambs and adding a paper clip to the harness down by the drivers feet always did the trick. Worked on 3 different Jeeps

Now come to my newer 2001, power locks stopped working and passenger window doesnt go down

Go into the boot in both door jambs. Found multiple half broken wires. Fixed them right up.... no change. Bypassed harness with a paper clip (I think it's like the child safety lock or something?) No change in either problems

So now I'm clean... good connected wires to all switches, and no locks or power window to just the passenger front window. All other switches work from the master switch and their own on the doors

Any advice?

The only other spot I noticed was theres some broken wires in the tailgate which I've never had happen to my other Jeeps. These wires will be repaired this weekend but I was checking with everyone to see if theres more problems spots

Thanks

Both my 2001 and 1997 XJ have required new door lock switches and new power window switches, the master door lock switch is in the front passenger door, the other doors are slaves.
Disassembling the switches, i could not find what was wrong with them.

Both my 2001 and 1997 XJ have required new door lock switches and new power window switches, the master door lock switch is in the front passenger door, the other doors are slaves.
Disassembling the switches, i could not find what was wrong with them.

Very interesting. I was thinking maybe it was something I could fix without parts

So you're saying you replaced the main switch on the front drivers door (the one that controls all of them) plus the master door lock in the passenger door? Bec6the be completely honest I didnt know the master switch for the locks was in the passenger door

Subd for updates.

The door locks in my 99 don’t work, and the pass/front window intermittently stops working. The door locks do “try” when I hit the switch, but they physically don’t move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had some of these issues as well. I tried the youtube re-solder and the slave switches went from no worky to intermittent. I just ordered another switch cluster for the driver door.

As for the door locks not moving, I have been there too. I did at one point remove and completely disassemble my passenger rear latch (where the actuator is) and was able to rehab that one by cleaning and lubing it. They work with a tiny plastic centrifugal clutch. I could not rehab any of the rest, the clutches were broken in them. I have replaced them with the universal $4 actuators from amazon.

I have had some of these issues as well. I tried the youtube re-solder and the slave switches went from no worky to intermittent. I just ordered another switch cluster for the driver door.

As for the door locks not moving, I have been there too. I did at one point remove and completely disassemble my passenger rear latch (where the actuator is) and was able to rehab that one by cleaning and lubing it. They work with a tiny plastic centrifugal clutch. I could not rehab any of the rest, the clutches were broken in them. I have replaced them with the universal $4 actuators from amazon.

Any chance you have a link for the actuators you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's the update from the start of my post

I did end up finding 2 more wires in the drivers door jamb that had separated. Fixed them and it didnt change anything

Next I took off the drivers side switch panel and went to work re flowing the solder on the connections. I found 3 questionable spots and got that done. Installed it back and it changed nothing. No power locks anywhere or power window to the passenger side

Next went to the passenger side. No broken wires in the jamb, too off the switch panel. Found multiple spots where it needed new solder completely. Cleaned it out all up and reinstalled.... fixed everything. With that switch working I now have power locks everywhere and the passenger door works from the drivers and passenger side switches

Once again thanks to this forum I've solved my issues. For anyone with these issues please check your wires, but also watch that YouTube video posted here! Although the parts aren't expensive to replace having oem parts properly fixed is always preferable

Nicely done!! and thanks for the followup!

Great info in this thread.

My door locks quit working a year or so back. As I've only got a 2 door, I've just been manually locking them, but I keep forgetting about the hatch.

Pulled the driver side apart last night and re-soldered the connections. Locks are about halfway there now. Gonna do the passenger side tonight, hopefully that fixes it.

Did the passenger side and it’s now somehow worse

Passenger one was an aftermarket replacement. Got a new mopar one on the way.

Did the passenger side and it’s now somehow worse

Passenger one was an aftermarket replacement. Got a new mopar one on the way.

New mopar one is in and everything works now.

Tip for the 2 door guys- passenger one is the same either way, don’t bother looking for a 2 door specific one.

And spring for a mopar one if you’re buying. They seem to respond better to repair- and last much longer before needing it.

New mopar one is in and everything works now.

Tip for the 2 door guys- passenger one is the same either way, don’t bother looking for a 2 door specific one.

And spring for a mopar one if you’re buying. They seem to respond better to repair- and last much longer before needing it.

Nice goin dude. I would definitely agree with mopar stuff for certain items. Electronics and sensors aren't good with the aftermarket brands. Which is what lead me to attempt to repair the stock ones first before buying

Anyway... glad we got our windows/locks working again

Side note: kind of jealous you have a 2 door. Always wanted one but around here in NY I've never seen one that doesnt have Flintstone floors

Back