• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Joint Replacement Advice.... knowledgeable advice wanted!

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
OK here's the deal...

I'm considering replacing my RK "krawler joints" on my 3-link w/ new joints. I believe they are 1" shank... I am looking at going w/ Currie's 2.5" x 1"-shank Johnny joints...

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I just plan to replace the lower arms joints at each end. The frame end is the new "hard poly" and the axle is the typical noisey "krawler joint".

It just doesnt meet my standards and Im not liking the stresses the new "hard poly" bushing is applying to the new mount and my unibody...

Is the Currie 2.5" x 1"shank Johnny Joint what I want?
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=2628

Should I go JKS (or is it the same dang part?)
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=FAB_9113_9114&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts

I would like some advice from people who actually wheel their rig and it still get street time.... Here's a few questions I would like answered:

1. Any issues w/ stability w/ johnny joints at each end on the Lowers?

2. Is this worth doing or am I just wasting my time?

3. Share your knowledge w/ me on the subject..

TIA,
Chris

The Currie Johnny Joints are a good product, you wouldn't regret using them. I've had them on my front arms, both ends, for about 7 years. They use a pretty hard bushing and so last pretty well, longer than the RE joints from what I hear. They aren't easy to adjust when they do need to be tightened, you call Currie and they send you a kit that has washers of a slightly different thickness, so you have to remove the snap ring and install the thicker washers. On mine, the washer gets wallowed out a little now and then, so to tighten them I just take a punch and hammer it all around the washers hole, and they tighten right up. I limit the flex on mine now, so the washers don't get wallowed out much anymore, which happened from bottoming out the joint at max flex.

I don't see that the choice of joints will have any effect on stability on a three link, or even a radius arm 3 link, since with only 3 arms there is no torque against the axle housing at all, so the type of joint adds no force whatsoever to the resistance that could potentially effect stability. I just see that having a poly bushing on one end would make the joint on the other end absorb more of the movement, potentially wearing it out faster.

Back