• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Shutdown Relay on a 1992 xj

jcarrera

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I recently acquired 92 xj laredo with a blown engine. I have swapped the engine but I am having trouble starting it. the engine will crank over but will not start. I notice the slot for the ASD relay is open. I have searched high and low for the correct relay that will fill that slot, to no avail.

Here is the open slot in the relay box. According to the diagram on the cover the ASD relay should fill the red slot. Any help?
xj%20relay%20box_zpsojlj9vwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

According to the diagram, you are missing the ABS Pump relay, not the ASD.

Last edited:
The two most common things that cause a no start are lack of fuel, or lack of spark.

Do you have fuel pressure?

Do you have spark? If not, you may have a bad CPS. If you left it installed in the bell housing when you mated the engine, you most likely broke it.

If yes on both, make sure the distributor is not 180 degrees out.

If you have been cranking a while with fuel you may have wet fouled spark plugs.

Last edited:
Have gone back and replaced the CPS. Also removed the spark plug from #1 cylinder, turned the engine by hand to TDC and aligned the timing mark on the dampener to 0. I then rechecked the distributor was set to where the rotor points about 5pm. In fact I tried two different distributor in case the cam sensor was bad on one of them. Same result, crank but no start.

Checked spark plugs for fouling and they appear fine. I definitely have spark. I got shocked in the process, who knew they packed such a punch!

The fuel pump comes on for a second or two then shuts off, I believe this is normal. Have not verified fuel pressure, I have to get a hold of a guage.

I have now also removed cleaned and re-installed the Neutral Safety Switch. Crank but no start. I have retightened the three ground wires that install onto the dipstick post, the wire strap from the head to the firewall, and the battery connection to the right stud on the grounding block to the front of passenger side on the engine.

Try squirting some carb cleaner or ether down the intake while cranking. If it tries to fire, you have a fuel problem. Since you have spark, that rules out the CPS.

If you sniff the tail pipe, do you smell gas fumes?

Do you have the test port on the rail? If you do you can take a rag or paper towel and push the valve to see if you have pressure. Not that much will come out just don't be smokin' or have any open flame when you do it, sorry but had to add the disclaimer! If not, you most likely found your problem, or at least the result of the problem.

Sorry guys, I've been off at work for the past 7 days. Back to trying to figure this puppy out.

So far:

I've tested the fuel pressure as suggested above. Definitely have some pressure at the test port on the rail. Good stream of gas came out with enough pressure to make it to the passenger side of the block. Cleaned up and dried up since.

Removed and cleaned the NSS. Some gunk on the inside and the copper terminals were slightly darkened. Degreased, scotch brightened terminals, and a light coat of dialectic grease was applied before reassembly.

Checked fuse panel for ignition switch and it checks out. Not burnt.

I have wiggled, disconnected and reconnected the harness to the ECU a couple of times.

All of these things have yielded the same result. Crank no start. I do notice my tempeture gauge spikes as all the way as I crank the engine. This leads me to believe there is some faulty wiring or a short some where. Don't want to chase electrical gremlins here so I will wait and see If some one has encountered such an occurrence.

There is an electrical connector near the relay box inside the engine bay loose, i cannot find where to plug it to. It is a black four pin connector with the a blue protective boot around it.

ok, so ive found out that little plug is meant to be used by the cruise control module, which my xj does not have.

Checked the ground for the CPS in the wire bundle? Cruiser54 has a great write up of where to find this one. It has I think 3 grounds that are really very poorly spliced/crimped. Have a Renix but think yours has the same, mine where very bad with corrosion. No issues as such but would have become one eventually.

Back