• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to Replace Front Wheel Hubs - Recommendations

Faz95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any thoughts on an a replacement wheel hub? Is there an upgraded or beefier version available somewhere?

Similar for ball joints? is there a beefier than OEM version available?

I'm running a LP D30 from a TJ under my rig.

Cheers

Timken all the way!

proper torque wrench or you will be replacing them again.

You don't need a torque wrench (expensive in 3/4" drive). but you will need a 3/4" breaker bar with a cheater sleeve marked for your weight. A 1/2" drive will work if you have a "range extender/multiplier".

Been doing it this way for 50yrs!

I built this one for my trail kit, it can be used with a breaker bar or just a single jack.
P1080495_zpsla6dhudd.jpg

P1080494_zpsrnidbkzq.jpg

I picked up used Snap-on torque wrench for a good price. You're method works as well. I think I have 5 different torque wrenches now.... LOL.

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a better place to get the Timken wheel hubs from? Saw some negative reviews on amazon for them. Is it better to get them from a auto parts store?

What about Moog for ball joints?

You don't need a torque wrench (expensive in 3/4" drive). but you will need a 3/4" breaker bar with a cheater sleeve marked for your weight. A 1/2" drive will work if you have a "range extender/multiplier".

Been doing it this way for 50yrs!

What's wrong with a regular 1/2" torque wrench and 36mm socket?

Use Timken / SKF, I bought timken off rock auto

Last edited:
What's wrong with a regular 1/2" torque wrench and 36mm socket?

Just need one that goes high enough, as the cheaper 1/2" clickers only go to 150-ftlbs. Or show off some redneck improvisation skilss by using a breaker bar while standing on a analog bathroom scale, and do the math. I've also used a fish scale in a pinch. Both methods also work as a sanity check of a wrench's calibration.

I must be missing something — having a hard time understanding why 175 ft pounds is hard to get with a 1/2” drive torque wrench

gotta be more to it

I must be missing something — having a hard time understanding why 175 ft pounds is hard to get with a 1/2” drive torque wrench

gotta be more to it

I use 1/2 torque wrench and it was just fine for 175 ft lbs. It is a Snap-On and is good to 200. 3/4 seems like overkill for anything on an XJ.

Back