• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double electric fan

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was checking the fan clutch and I have to replace it my question, can I just get a electric fan and take off the mechanical one I know that if I do that I get more power but the electric fan is enough to cool down the engine I already have one electric and the mechanical but want the 2 electric to get more pony power

I think you will regret it. To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Dyno is the only member who has been happy with two electric fans. Several members have tried it, and found that the mechanical fan cools better.

I think a lot of the problems with dual fans in the past, where the lack of CFM's moved by the replacement fans. A lot of the popular/cheap Flex-a-lite fans put out a very low CFM, making it generally worse than the mechanical fan.

But I am more than likely looking to get the following fan from Derale:
http://www.derale.com/electricfans.shtml Part number: 16928, which is good for 4000 CFM's. That should be enough to match the factory electric/mech. fan combo.

Eagle said:
I think you will regret it. To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Dyno is the only member who has been happy with two electric fans. Several members have tried it, and found that the mechanical fan cools better.

I'm not the only one who's happy with the dual electric fan conversion. The key is to make sure that the electric fan that's replacing the clutch fan has a high enough cfm rating, to make sure that it's mounted as close to the radiator as possible, and to make sure that it's properly shrouded.
The clutch fan would make a good 5lb anchor for a remote controlled model boat. ;)

I am very happy with my conversion as well ;)
As mentioned it all comes down to using a minimum of 2000 cfm fan to replace it.

See my site for more details.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

Back