NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:43
NAXJA Forum User

shock problem travel questions with 5.5 inch lift

how much travel are shocks supposed to have i just installed a iro 5.5 inch lift and went to put shocks on (doestech) and just sitting normal o n flat land they only have like 2 inches of travel for the front and rear. does this sound right?
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: shock problem travel questions with 5.5 inch lift

There really is NO suppose to area. The best thing to do is go flex out the jeeep with no shocks on it and measure. Start by getting the left front up as high (stuffed) as it will go before the rear starts to lift and measure the collapsed length on the driver (from mount to mount) area and same with the rear right then go to the front right and measure the extended length(mount to mount) then do the same on the left rear. Then reverse the whole thing and get the average of the measurements. Then either call the shock places or look on the web for extended and collapsed measurements and get the right ones for your Jeep set-up not your lift companies suggestions although their suggestions are a good starting point.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:04
NAXJA Forum User

If the shock can only move 2" then yes you got a problem. I am assuming you are referring to it only having 2" of down travel, then you need some longer shocks.

Take one shock off and measure it's collapsed and extended lengths. Compare these lenghts to shock websites for your size lift. Or go out a flex the xj with no shocks, measure want lengths you will need then buy shocks that match.

edit: c'mon no response for 2 hours . . . then one 2 mins before me. ha ha ha
Old March 15th, 2011, 22:34
NAXJA Forum User

whats a good length for shocks with a 5.5 inch lift? i cant really flex it out at all to measure. tcase is out then i need to drive it 200 miles back home
Old March 15th, 2011, 23:15
NAXJA Forum User

A good length is whatever length you need to acheive what you want, lots of uptravel? downtravel? bumpstopping? How long are your brakelines? How much will your set up allow you to droop?

If you don't want to take the time to measure it, call a company (bilstein, rough country, monroe) and see what they sell for your size lift. Most companies have a base idea
Old March 15th, 2011, 23:30
NAXJA Forum User

I do not mean to sound harsh but......If you are just driving it home throw the ones on there that you have then when you get home measure it up right and order the right ones... There is no right shock that fits every ones jeep with a certain amount of lift. Your Jeep could need a totally different length then another Jeep that has the same lift for a huge amount of factors. Some of those factors are listed in the post above mine .

Last edited by magimerlin; March 15th, 2011 at 23:34.
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:12
Member# 2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by magimerlin View Post
There is no right shock that fits every ones jeep with a certain amount of lift. .
You are correct, but if he's got 5 inches of lift then a 10" or 12" travel shock will work. I just might not perform like he wants it to. Like I said, I run 12" shocks. I like downtravel and have my bumpstops set for 3" of uptravel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlingxj View Post
how much travel are shocks supposed to have i just installed a iro 5.5 inch lift and went to put shocks on (doestech) and just sitting normal o n flat land they only have like 2 inches of travel for the front and rear. does this sound right?
I have 5.5" of lift. I run 12" travel Bilstein 5150s on mine. I have about 3 inchs of up travel and 9 inches of down travel. In most cases you want a shock that will have about 1/4 - 1/3 of the 'chrome' shaft showing (to get you a ball park figure).

Take a picture of the shock, post it here and we will be glad to tell you if that will be safe on the road.
Old March 16th, 2011, 23:40
NAXJA Forum User

i still dont know what im going to do the shocks iro gave me allow just over 2 inches of travel (i only see that much silver) i dont feel confortable driving 200 miles on that. seems the more i read alot of people are using in the ~16 to ~27 range seems right as the coils are 22 inches uncompressed so they dont drop out every other flex. the doestechs iro gave me are somthing like 37" extended. low range do you know what the measurements are that you have for your blistines?
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:56
NAXJA Member

Quote:
i still dont know what im going to do the shocks iro gave me allow just over 2 inches of travel (i only see that much silver) i dont feel confortable driving 200 miles on that. seems the more i read alot of people are using in the ~16 to ~27 range seems right as the coils are 22 inches uncompressed so they dont drop out every other flex. the doestechs iro gave me are somthing like 37" extended. low range do you know what the measurements are that you have for your blistines?

I am a little confused here,.... Are you saying your present shocks are too long or too short? I take it you are no longer using the OEM length shocks but instead some longer replacements. Am I correct?

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:01
NAXJA Forum User

iro gave me shocks that are wayyy to long.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
iro gave me shocks that are wayyy to long.

If the shocks are too long then you have 2 problems. They will bottom out every time you hit a bump. Their life will be short. The front like you already know may allow the springs to unseat causing major headache on the highway. Yea, the do need shorter shocks before you under take that high way trip.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:23
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_108.htm
think those will get me by for now?
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:44
NAXJA Forum User

How do you use your Jeep?

What size of tires and have you trimmed your fenders?
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:46
NAXJA Forum User

not hard core but trails and some rocks. i also bump stoped .not very much trimming 33 inch tires
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:00
NAXJA Forum User

Ok your up travel is where the issue is. Drop will be great in some cases...

Short arms or long arms?