NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 28th, 2018, 14:00
NAXJA Member

Dana 44 problem / questions

I have a Dana 44 housing that has a chronic wheel seal leak problem. It appears that the inside diameter of the section where the seal rests is oversized due to a bearing burning up. I need to fix this. I am a machinist and have machine shop access.

Options:

1) Find a replacement housing

2) find a replacement driver's side tube or portion and splice it in.

3) Machine a new end to the tube and attach it.

Anybody have any input/ideas.

I am also considering going with either a wider D44 housing to match the front D44 or moving to a semi-float D60 with a 5x5.5 pattern capability.

Where can I get info on buying or machining a replacement tube. Are there premade tube ends that have the inset machined to hold the bearing/seal that I can weld on? When you retube, how do you address this issue?