• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JeepSpeed

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
Right now my Jeep is pretty stock. Small lift w/ 30" tires. JCR prerunner bumper and thats about it. Im not a big fan of rock crawling and most of my offroad time will be spent in the desert. I would like to mod my jeep similar to the JeepSpeed XJs.

I know they spend a ton of time and money on those rigs but Im just curious what would be the best route to go if I want to be able to drive faster than 10mph through the whoops, dips and trails out in the dirt? What kind of lift, shocks, tires, etc would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advace
Mike

Long travel suspension is your biggest friend going fast through the rough stuff. Proper bump stops and limiting straps are required. Spend some money to buy good shocks.

Most of all, you need to beef up everything. Control arms, lower control arm brackets, frame rail where the steering box and track bar mounts must be strengthened. Rear upper shock mounts won't last too long without reinforcement.

Really, there's no end to the money that could and should be spent to build any successful race vehicle. How far you take it is up to you.

Jared:patriot:

will you post pics of the jcr bumper? ive been looking into buying one of their front bumpers. did you get the unibody tie in brackets that mount to the steering box brace?

BigMike80 said:
Right now my Jeep is pretty stock. Small lift w/ 30" tires. JCR prerunner bumper and thats about it. Im not a big fan of rock crawling and most of my offroad time will be spent in the desert. I would like to mod my jeep similar to the JeepSpeed XJs.

I know they spend a ton of time and money on those rigs but Im just curious what would be the best route to go if I want to be able to drive faster than 10mph through the whoops, dips and trails out in the dirt? What kind of lift, shocks, tires, etc would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advace
Mike
lets start simple and build from there. youll want to get some good shocks Id look in to some rancho 9000 pro's (adjustable and remote resevour)to start with and maybe some nice control arms to get ya going then maybe some air bumps to soften the bigger jumps etc. after you see how you like that make small changes till your either happy or choose to go all out and build.

Bilstein shocks all the way around with remote reservoirs, air bumps, 5.5" deaver front springs, deaver rear springs with boomerang shackles, a true 4 link long arm suspension, frame plaing and reifocements, 33" tires, gearing, a rear locker, axle trussing, and a roll cage of course...

Thanks for all the info so far guys. This will be a long project because of the money issue. Im not planning on racing it but I want it to be something capable of handling some desert trails and terrain (doing more than 5mph). What long arm lift would you guys recommend? I have been looking at the TnT Customs lift as well as RE long arm lift. Are these more for rock crawling or would they work for me in the desert?

I also need this vehicle to be streetable (its still my DD till I can afford to have 2 vehicles).

MasterShakeXJ said:
will you post pics of the jcr bumper? ive been looking into buying one of their front bumpers. did you get the unibody tie in brackets that mount to the steering box brace?

Here is a pic of my JCR bumper. I did get the unibody tie-ins. Its really not that much more $ and I feel its well worth it.
cleanxj3.jpg

the only thing i dont like about their bumpers is they dont come back very far on the sides. does it line up straight on your jeep? i had one of their rear bumpers that i guess was poorly made and sat crooked on my jeep. i sold it to me a friend of mine and its the same way on his.

no matter what else you do, make sure your bumpstops are setup correctly.

From there, find the best shocks you can afford. Save for a couple more months and buy the ones that are better than that. Bilstien 7100 remote resi's, Bilstien 9100's, Fox 2.0's, Sway A Ways's, something along that line.

in fact, shocks are pretty expensive, figure out what lift you want first and start there - so you don't buy short shocks now and long shocks later. :)

I agree with Cal. 7100's or better 9100's would be my choice. I run the RE long arm kit and it does great in the fast stuff. I live in OC so if you ever want to ride in it let me know. I have bilstien non-application race shocks on it and they are great (just get too hot without res. Air bumps would be good but not required right off that bat if you have enough travel but are something to look for later. Stay away from any rancho product as they are crap for going fast. Ask TCM GLX he sold his 9000 pro's to get Fox 2.0's and he is using the TnT long arm kit. Strengthen the unibody look at TnT stiffeners or T&J stiffeners as well as adding these http://www.temper-mentalracing.net/services.htm

T&J offers some nice weld in airbump cans. Look into them for a decent amount of go fast stuff.
I am changing my front RE's out for Deavers this weekend so I will let you know the difference.

silverslk said:
I am changing my front RE's out for Deavers this weekend so I will let you know the difference.
The Deaver coils were the single best modification I made. I use the cheaper 5150 shocks and can kick myself for not buying nicer shocks. They are ok but like the other guys are saying front shocks is a great place to put your money. I just did the Temper metal racing front stiffeners. If you have a plasma or just can afford the time you can make them. I test drove it with the stiffeners and I can tell they are doing somthing good. A lot of good came from Jeepspeed for us regular guys for sure.

I was looking at T&J's prerunner kit. The savings has already started but I still have a little ways to go. I will keep you guys posted when I finally get enough $ to buy. Thanks for all the info so far.

Back