• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limit strap for jumping

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
I want to go to silver lake sand dunes in the michagin.

There' are plently of spots to make some airbrone in there. However I want to find out whats good way to make my XJ to be able to do it safely and not get damaged or even destroyed.

I am not sure how much of limit strap need to be limiting it. I wonders should i have the axle to droop as much as the shock can go then cut the 1" off then good to go? I am thinking about limit it to keep the coil springs partially seated to the upper coil mount?

I believe the rearend isnt the major concern? however I have the relocation shackle brackets but I can move the bolt back to verticle if that will help?

I have a couples of 5/16" steel cables (from a weight lifting machine lol), will that work or There's better and still cheap way to use as limit straps?

TIA!

by the way, my XJ is

6.5" Iron Rock Off-Road's Long Arm lift w/ full leaf packs with Dostech shocks
SYE
34" TSL
AW4
NP-231
D30/D35 (The D35 will be gone before any airbrone will be taken place)

Normally you limit about a half inch short, if you double up limit straps you can get away with even less due to less strap stretch. Not sure how heavy the TSL's are, but if you wanted to limit an inch to be safe you would be fine, and over time you would end up being right around a half inch once you break in the straps.

The rear is just as important as the front in my opinion, but get the front done first.

Don't use cables though, there's a lot of SNAP tension put on limit straps.

More important then limit straps,(which protect the shocks) if you're planning on airing it a lot, you're going to have to truss the axles.
Like crazyjim said, yo don't want to use steel. Nylon straps: They're not cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then expensive shocks.

the thing is it will be a weekend in whole year.

If its too much of troubles to get it to set up correctly, I might wont jump then. however the jeep will be trailered to there so if it breaks, I still can go back home.

Are straps necessary for going through whoops and things of that nature?

Anytime there is the potential for you suspension uptravel to excees your available shock travel, you need to run a limit strap.....shocks become expensive limit straps. :bawl:

any chance is there a limit strap made for the XJ that I can simply bolt on? if not, what should i look for?

I hope it wont cost too much, otherwise I will not jump

I mounted mine by taking the strap and bolting one end to the swaybar axle mount and then made a 2x2x.75 block with the right size hole tapped in it and bolted the other end of the strap to it and then fully extending the strap and then holding a measuring device next to it and moved the block down an inch and then welded it on. Easiest, cheapest, simplest way of doing it. But you gotta realize straps are gonna run ya about 60 bucks for a pair shipped

if you are worried about breaking it or destroying it don't jump it. there are a lot more things to worry about then just limit straps. for me the short list would be bent axle housings, destroyed bump stops, and possibly a tweaked unibody. i pulled the trifecta and got all 3 the first time i jumped my XJ.

since then i've been through 3 D30's and 2 8.25s, and still havent learned my lesson :gee:

any chance is there a limit strap made for the XJ that I can simply bolt on? if not, what should i look for?

I hope it wont cost too much, otherwise I will not jump

What Grimm said. Limit straps and bumpstops are small pieces of the overall equation.

Jumping without trussed and gusseted axle housings and a reinforced unibody are recipies for $$$ damage. I would consider these to be minimum requirements if you want your rig to stay straight. I've witness bent front axle housings and tweaked unibodies on non-beefed XJ's that went airborne on small-ish jumps.

Landing on a flat surface, off-camber landings, nosing into another whoop or landing uphill will increase the shock loads applied to your rig upon touch down.

I've only jumped my rig a few times.....(ok, less than 10) and it was always in the sand, where I had "optimal" conditions. My avatar photo is of a 70'-ish long jump from take-off to landing and it was pretty smooth (soft sand, downhill landing), which tranfered much of the gravity-induced shock load into forward momentum.

Anytime there is the potential for you suspension uptravel to excees your available shock travel, you need to run a limit strap.....shocks become expensive limit straps. :bawl:

I think you meant any time there is potential for excess droop, not uptravel. Limit straps have nothing to do with uptravel.

if you wanna jump an xj and not brake anything do this, plate unibody, truss axles, run real limiting straps. other wise keep all fours on the ground. and i mounted my limiting straps next the upper shock mount and but a tab on the lower axle

uni1.jpg

If you plan on airing out any D30 I recommend trussing it . Here is a shot of what mine looks like , and it has held everything together for quite a while now .

flyrock2.jpg

And here is what your front axle will look like after a few jumps without it .

Back