• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA from Harbor Freight?

I got one a few weeks ago when they were on sale and have used a few times. So far so good. It takes my tires from 12 psi to 32 psi in 2-3 minutes (245/75-16) It's not the prettiest compressor out there but what do you want for $50. I'm going to mount it under the hood of my TJ and see how long it lives. Like everything from HF, it's cheap Chinese stuff so don't expect to much from it and you won't be disappointed

I'm seriously considering picking one up also.

Should get the job done so long as you don't overwork it. It probably has at most a 20-30% duty cycle. You could always take more stress off of it too with a small tank and a pressure switch.

I have had one for a couple years now and its always worked well for me, but it does not like big tires. my 31's push it's limit and my 35's made it cry uncle. so now I have it as backup to a CO2 system I pieced together from used welding shop parts for $115

bought one, cause I kept having to use a friend's, works great, love it, plus I printed off a coupon for 15% off, and used a gift certificate from christmas, so... since everything else was nearly paid for, I pitched in for the extended warranty. if I use it as much as i used my friend's it will pay for itself quickly. His works great!

I bought one awhile back for $46. From what others have told me, one of the drawbacks is the screws working themselves loose, so I will be applying a little lock-tight soon.

It filled my 31" from 12-30psi in a hair under 2min and my bro's 33" tires in a hair over 2 1/2 min.

I'll probably pick up another one when they send a coupon or they go on sale again.

Mine Is mounted between the passenger seat and the door. It has worked very well on my 31's.
I took the top of the cylinder head off to rethread the fitting for a standard pipe thread and got rid of that handle setup. At work last month, one of our Engineers had to tear apart a Viair compressor. The cylider was riding directly in the finned aluminum piston, but on the "Chinese" version on my workbench that aluminum cylinder had a steel liner around the piston for better wear. Not bad for the $ IMHO.

Don't waste your money at HF. Spend $10 more for this one, they are awesome:

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Parts-Tops-and-Accessories/PARTMV50.aspx

4WheelParts has them also, but I couldn't find it on their site, and they run free shipping sometimes.

I saw a post on pirate (I think it was there), they put this one up against a $300 Viair. After running each exactly 5 minutes on a 35" tire, this one had like 5 more psi. I love mine, but now I use my AC compressor.

PepBoys carries the MF-1050 that you mentioned. I have been waiting for them to go on sale as well.

1996cc said:
I saw a post on pirate (I think it was there), they put this one up against a $300 Viair. After running each exactly 5 minutes on a 35" tire, this one had like 5 more psi. I love mine, but now I use my AC compressor.
The MF1050/MV50 is nice, it does its work fast and quietly.
http://www.qindustries.net/products/air.htm

A write up on how to install onboard
One test
Another test

I am pretty sure I saw the review/comparison on pirate also, but I can't seem to find it now.

balloo93 said:
PepBoys carries the MF-1050 that you mentioned. I have been waiting for them to go on sale as well.
I have one and it went bad. Worked on it for hours; the relay and switch mechanism went bad and blew the 30A fuse. Couldn't fix the orginal stuff.

But I liked the unit so I bought a 30a house-style SPST switch and wired it in, replacing the orginal switch and relay. No fuse is used. Now it works fine.

I bought the tsunami air compressor at Pepboys for 59.99. They have two compressors. One is the tsunami (red) and the other is the huricane (yellow). The tsunami is the more powerful of the two. It is identical to the one on 4wd hardware and the one at 4wp. It fills the 35" BFG's on my Dodge from 10 to 35 psi in about 2 1/2 minutes. The flow rate and duty cycle is the same as the Viair 400P, and for the price, when it breaks I can buy 5 for the price of one Viair.

hey im new to this site but man let me tell ya stuff is geting fixed now . wow tons of ideas and real good sources for the info thanks a bunch and as soon as i learn how to post and share ill show yall what im a buildin

Well, I'mm definately going to get either the one at HF or the one at Pep Boys. I went on a ride yesterday and today when I came home from work the left rear was flat as a pancake. No problem, I'll put on the spare until I get that one patched, right? Wrong. My spare hadn't been used for a while and as a result it only had about 5 psi. So I had to get my dinky cigarette lighter compressor out and wait about 15 min just to get it to 20 psi. If that would happen on a trail ride everyone would kill me. Or I might just kill myself after waiting an eternity for one tire to inflate.

Back