• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welder options for xj things, newb here

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
all,

Im considering adding a welder to my tooling. I would like your opinion on what the minimum sized to descent sized welder would be for someone new to welding, but not shorting myself for welding things like stiffeners, trusses........

there are many good welders out today, but i know those on here have tried and true experience up to date which I would like to here from.

I am not an experienced or knowledgeable welder, though I dont want some HF crap type welder. I DD my xj and thus, any add ons need to be Dang permanent.

I have a few names in mind with little value of opinion.

1. lincoln/miller, ideal
2. hobart, mixed reviews
3. forney..... anyone know of these. I only know they used to have an office in my town? looks seems to be not the high end, but not super crap haha

thanks for your opinions.

No one welds?

I'm don't mean to open up a bag of worms here, but let's say a lincoln 180 vs whatever, did this or that work well for You?

Any input please and thank you

I've got a Hobart 140. Done everything from cage, bumpers, sliders, beadlocks, stiffeners, trusses, shock hoops, etc. Even welded up a rear diff for a buddy even though I suggested against it haha. I've been very happy with the welder, it does really well up to 1/4" thick. Planning on upgrading to the 210 at some point when I get into fabbing suspension and steering stuff for a 1 ton swap.

Last edited:
Just one welder?

Umm...

That makes it difficult.

My 120V Lincoln MIG sees the most use, but I can't imagine not having my TIG. And the buzz-box arc welder is my go-to machine for anything thick (i.e. anything involving axles/suspension). I suppose if I had a 240V MIG I could use that to replace both the 120V MIG and the buzz-box, but the buzz-box is much better for welding outside than would be any shielded (gas) welder.

And then there is the engine driven arc welder and the oxy/acetylene rig for work beyond the reach of extension cords.

IOW, go ahead and get a welder, but don't go thinking that is the end of it.

That reminds me, I need to remind The Bride that I still don't have a plasma cutter. Christmas is coming.

I have a Lincoln pro mig 180. Had a 175 before that (basically the same). Both work great. Welded a lot of junk together. If you can swing it, go 220-240 volt for sure. Much more room to grow. If your breaker box is in your Garage, it's cheap to get a 240 installed or be really careful and do it yourself like I did.

And definitely get one that comes set up for gas. You can go cheap and get straight co2 (cheaper) but I think the 75 argon 25 co2 welds a little better. Fills are cheap. Tanks are not.

Haha, just one for now, enough of a worthy mig that can get me by. Am I wrong to assume a less than 220v is limited on my uses, can a bigger 190-220 rig not step down to function like a 120-140 or So?

Remember newb here, there s plenty ide like to have, but take money, time, and Practice

Good recommendations thus far folks!

no welders with experience on these forney machines?

thus far all i can find is they are made in italy and the office is in fort collins

hobart 190 is looking nice, forney 190 is still being researched and the lincol 180 im sure is a good unit, but has a little less power than the previous two for the money.

BTW whats the average bottle cost these days?

Haha, just one for now, enough of a worthy mig that can get me by. Am I wrong to assume a less than 220v is limited on my uses, can a bigger 190-220 rig not step down to function like a 120-140 or So?

Remember newb here, there s plenty ide like to have, but take money, time, and Practice

Good recommendations thus far folks!

You can turn the heat down and use a smaller wire on lighter gauge materials.

Well up to date on this adventure. I've got all the supplies to add 220V in the garage, just got a full 80cf tank from a guy the other day.

I'm still very much leaning toward the Hobart 190 as it has many very good reviews. While I'm sure ide appreciate a great machine down the road, I think I would be smarter to spend the difference on safety gear.
The guy I got the tank from really advocated the Miller 211, but that's asking a lot from me, someone that's not well versed in welding at all.
Lincoln is a good choice, but for the same money it seems Hobart has a longer power and gun cord, which is nice. Still keeping my eyes peeled for a good sale or until I get to antsy and pull the trigger on a unit.

still open and happy to hear your opinions on welders that you have or have run, likes dislikes, nothing to bash brands, but if you dont like something or do like somethings please share!

thanks!

Last edited:
Still collecting supplies,

Does anyone here run the Hobart 190 or Lincoln 180C.

Are these plenty powerful for 1/4-3/8 steel ?

Anyone that runs stepped voltage, do you mind it?

3/8", personally I would do in three passes. 1/4 " should be fine with 035. You may also want a heavier wire on the 3/8".

Have you used a Vulkan welder?

They are light years ahead of the Chicago Electric brand HF had.

I have the Vulkan OmniPro 220. The machine works absolutely great. I have not had any issues with it.

It can do DC Mig, Tig, and Stick. Comes with plugs for both 120/220. Can easily replace the leads as they use the standardized Dinse connectors. The grounding clamp is better than some of the Hobart/Miller clamps. Also Hobarts are just previous year Miller models.

If you're into AVE he talks about the Mig only Vulkan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh51jPKeR9A

If you want you can get the same machine from Lincoln for 2x the price. https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K3963-1(LincolnElectric)

If you want to spend the cash and get into a higher end machine from the start I would look at the ESAB Rebel line up otherwise my recommendation stays with the Vulkan OmniPro.

ESAB has a Rebel coming out that does ac/dc tig/mig/stick

https://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=12701EMP

I've been doin a lot of research on this as I'm not rushing into buying this tool.

I have seen aev review on the Vulcan, he didn't speak that highly of it's build. For the money I believe there's better options, but thank you kindly for the recommendation!

Just keep your eyes peeled for a Millermatic 210 and call it a day. Old enough to help make the price come down and it'll do 3/8" when you need to. I've had mine since new, run .035 wire and never had an issue.

Let someone else pay the depreciation; that's what I did with my buzz box.

I've been doin a lot of research on this as I'm not rushing into buying this tool.

Check with Welding Supply stores in you area.

My former employer used the General Air store in Denver. They had used machines for sale, they back their product, and service what they sell.

I have seen aev review on the Vulcan, he didn't speak that highly of it's build. For the money I believe there's better options, but thank you kindly for the recommendation!

Oh I forgot to mention you can also try it for up to a year and return it no questions asked within that one year.

Your best bet is a local store. They will give you good advice on a machine that fits your needs and budget. They'll also set you up with tanks, tools, and accessories.

Take it home and start welding.

Back