• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding an 8.25 LSD?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
A friend of mine is trying to get his XJ ready for wheeling this summer, and he opened the rear diff to change fluid and found the thick steels from his LSD clutch pack lying in the bottom.

Spuds_LSD.jpg

We found a 27-spline open diff 8.25 somewhere and threw it in temporarily, but I want to get his 29-spline LSD back together if possible.

I have not ever rebuilt one of these before, and am trying to figure out what's involved. I understand from researching that the 8.25 and D35 use compatible packs? The packs I have seen are paper and there weren't any of those in here? Is it possible to rebuild with the carrier installed? If I remove the carrier will I have to reset the gears? Will I need any special tools?

Any information appreciated. Thanks

Dana 35 and Chry 8.25 use the same clutches. The preload discs broke, thats normal with a bunch of miles. You won't be able to rebuild it in the housing. If you mark the adjusters or measure backlash you should be fine with removing the diff. Lube up the clutches with the additive or syn gear lube. They should be stacked from the factory the correct way, set each set on their side gears. Set the diff on the passenger side, put first side gear and clutches into ring gear side. Then flip it over and install the other side. I use a LARGE bolt, water and nut to hold it in place. Use impact gun to tighten the bolt and nut to compress the preload disc. Set the pinion gears into the sides of diff. Now sometimes its hard to rotate the opposite side gear . Set an axle in a vise then the diff onto it and twist. After you get the pinion gears in place take off axle. Use 2 chisels in the middle of diff to wedge and compress both preload discs so you can slide the thrust washers in. I use the cross shaft to hold one thrust washer and a finger for the other, then knock out the chisels. Should be good.

Back