• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will the electric fan from a 97-01 XJ be a direct fit?

EvilCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i'm prepping the Jeep for winter(and any other time spare if my Crown Vic goes in for major work), and i have to replace my electric fan, the fan clutch, and the clutch fan. i'm getting most of the parts from www.quadratec.com, and for the electric fan, since i have to replace it now, might as well get the one with the different blades. will this be a direct bolt-in? unfortunately, i haven't been able to locate a pic to compare mounts.

EvilCherokee said:
i'm prepping the Jeep for winter(and any other time spare if my Crown Vic goes in for major work), and i have to replace my electric fan, the fan clutch, and the clutch fan. i'm getting most of the parts from www.quadratec.com, and for the electric fan, since i have to replace it now, might as well get the one with the different blades. will this be a direct bolt-in? unfortunately, i haven't been able to locate a pic to compare mounts.

I'm assuming you have a pre-'97 model based on the context of your post. I had to make some significant modifications to the mechanical fan shroud in a '87 MJ to fit a late model electric fan fit next to it, and it was not a very neat installation at that, so the simple answer is no, it will not fit. Can you make it fit? Yes, but it probably is not worth the effort. Just use the appropriate fan for your model year.

I ordered a 97 fan for my 87 XJ from Quadratec and I had no problems at all with fit. It dropped right in. The dimensions of the fan are the same as the older style. And the two "tabs" on the bottom of the fan lined right up with their matching holes.

Also. I did not have to alter the mechanical fan's shroud at all.

This was supposed to be a direct drop in replacement. And from my experience it is.

Yucca-man posted a picture on this thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30683

Oh. There is one caveat though.

You will have to snip off the old connector coming from the harness. And go to a junkyard and snip off the newer style connector and splice it into the harness. Apparently they decided to changeover connector style along with the fan style. No big deal.

If all else fails splice in the old fan connector to the new fan. I liked the newer style connector and so decided to visit a U-Pull-It junkyard to find its mate.

Warning: Before you do any wire cutting make sure the thing fits! You can always return the fan to Quadratec

I'm very happy with my install. The new fan does a better job than my old one. And it isn't held together by plastic putty. :looney:

Hmmm, you must have a different fan than the one I worked with... it was supposed to be a 10 blade high output model that I found on ebay awhile back.

Lawn Cher' - was it this one?
96xjcooling.jpg

Back