• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer shocks ok on stock height suspension??

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
I want a better ride and was thinking of using OME shocks due to their ride quality but do not have a lift installed and will not be installing one anytime soon. Is there any disadvantage or anything bad that can happen with using shocks longer then stock on a stock height suspension?

If you bottom the shocks out during daily driving it will severely decrease the life of the shock. Take the stock shocks out of your jeep and measure. I'd give Bilstein a call to see what they have. Just explain what you want and what you have and they'll point you in the right direction.

In the back, measure between bump stop and whatever hits the bump stop at full suspension compression (axle?). The shock at full compression must be shorter than this or it will be damaged. Seems like you want an inch clearance at least. In the front, we have those weird compression limiters that I first though were broken shock absorbers when I looked at mine. You'd have to figure out how far those compress.

Can't you get the brand of shocks you want for the stock set-up instead of longer?

In the back, measure between bump stop and whatever hits the bump stop at full suspension compression (axle?). The shock at full compression must be shorter than this or it will be damaged. Seems like you want an inch clearance at least. In the front, we have those weird compression limiters that I first though were broken shock absorbers when I looked at mine. You'd have to figure out how far those compress.

Can't you get the brand of shocks you want for the stock set-up instead of longer?

No that's the thing, OME only makes shocks for lifted vehicles.

Because I have experienced the ride quality of OME and know for a fact they ride and perform great. Everything else would be just taking other's words for it....no first hand experience. I've got Monroe gas-matic's on there now and they ride good, but are too soft like in a panic stop it nose dives so hard it bottoms out and hits the bump stops.

Seems to me it's not your shocks job to stop you from bottoming out under hard deceleration. That is the springs compressing. It's up to the shock to stop the rebounding of the spring unloading too quickly.

What you want isn't stronger shocks it's stiffer springs.

Back