• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Food

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Need recomendations on how to keep food that needs to be refridgerated cold. Might just have to run to get Ice every day.

What kind of food should be packed for the trip?

Thanks
Jason

Ill do most my shopping for food on Thursday evening after camp is set up. Tax free stuff. Burgers and dogs, soup, and fish sticks. Steak dinner for me Friday night. Eggs and bacon and hash browns for breakfast. Cereal too for another day. Then possibly some biscuits and gravy for Sunday. PB&J's for lunch all days. One cooler for me, just have to run to the store for ice I guess.

I planned on being packed for food before we go, but it might be a better idea to run to Tillamook or elsewhere to stock up.

Jason

JMotorsprt said:
I planned on being packed for food before we go, but it might be a better idea to run to Tillamook or elsewhere to stock up.

Jason

Thats what Im thinking. Maybe after camp is set up, a few of us can hop in a rig and go into town. I guess we'll see what happens when we get there.

Put it in a cooler, Jason. ;) As for ice, I try to use the blue ice packs so there's not water running around the bottom. If you're going to pack food that can be frozen, freeze it. Everything else should be refrigerated first so the cooler doesn't have to suck out all the cold from the ice packs.

Foods like hotdogs and hamburgers should be put on the bottom, while condiments and packaged foods get put more toward the top. That way if something happens to leak you're not cross-contaminating everything (blood leaking down, etc). Layer newspaper in between levels, that helps keep the cold air intact when you open the lid. If you want to get really geeky, make a diagram of where everything is located and plan your cooler according to your meals.

The steel-belted Coleman coolers we have will last for several days on a set of ice packs.

Yes, it's 6am and I have nothing better to do. :D

You could run out and buy a RV like I am bringing!! I will have a freezer with Ice Cream, and Fridge for nice fresh milk, etc :)

Jason, I would recommend a Really good quality cooler (coleman 5 day or similar) and Ice as Phil recommended. I also plan as little food as possible that needs to stay cold or Frozen.

It is not that big of a deal for those of you who are single, but for those of us who have the responsibility of a wife and kids and food, It is a huge deal!!

Phils recommendations are excellent. Good cooler, smart packing, keep the lid closed unless you know exactly why you are going in there!!

Michael

I recommend the ARB refer. No ice needed.

I wish I could afford to. what are they $600 a piece.

if you have to ask you can't afford it.

What is reefer?:smoker:

JMotorsprt said:
That's alot of ice.
Yes. Yes, it is.

B00000DRBV.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

-----Matt-----

Back