• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC Fest 2004 - Early SitRep

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It's now mid-afternoon on Sunday and NAC Fest 2004 is pretty much wound down. I probably got home before most attendees, so I'd like to use this opportunity to say a few thank yous. Especially, the guys in the NAC who made it happen -- I know Mike G and Chris W didn't really want to run another NAC Fest, but when nobody else stepped up to the plate they came through, and it was a bang-up event. Huge thanks to Mike and Chris, and to Magoo who got himself drafted as trail leader. The event was significantly larger than last year's, which was a pleasant but rather unexpected surprise. I'll leave the statistics for Mike, because he has the head count.

Another round of thanks to all the guys who served as trail leaders. It's an interesting job at Paragon, because (a) their maps suck big-time, and (b) between erosion and traffic wear, the trails are virtually never the same as they were even a few weeks before.

As with last year, Joe Azevedo of TRC Offroad ended up on a "busman's holiday" helping out with trailside repairs as well as spotting and trail guiding. Thanks, Joe.

I'd also like to thank the mid-west mob, who showed up in force complete with molls and moms (plus assorted kids, pets, and whatever). We even had our first international attendee, Lou Cabral from Ontario. Thanks also to Tom for filling in at the grill when the (unnamed) person in charge of cooking managed to break on the trail in order to escape KP. Don't bother to deny it, you know who you are.

I would appreciate it if those people who won the "good stuff" in the raffle would send me a PM telling me which item you won, and your name and home town. I'll be writing to the donor sponsors and I'd like to include the names of the winners.

eagle, it sounds like everyone had a great time! Glad everyone had fun, and hopefully nothing to serious got broken. and hey, nobody came away w/ a classic case of poison ivy/oak or anything else contagious (cept mebbe a bigger case of JEEP ON THE BRAIN!!!) hopefully by the end of the year i'll be back stateside jeepin and having fun w/ the naxja crew. be safe guys, and i'll see ya on the trails!

Kris

I got there about an hour after you left eagle, spent 14 hours sat rebuilding and reinstalling 2 sun E450 servers at a customers site while fielding phone calls from 400 screeming medical coders from all over the lower 48. Finally got to put some faces to names. Missed picking up that front d30 diff guard from adam, guess I'll have to pay shipping now :bawl: That campground is out in the boonies 'Just a little ways past paragon' is a bit conservative but is a nice place. Going to plan some more outings with mike I think cause there are alot of BMJA'ers that want nice newbie rides on stock trails and with my 4:10's going in on wed I'll feel much better about wheeling than with my 3:07's and LT235's. Well, back to painting....

Rich,
I was to find you and tell you that ,because Ary could not make it up ,to bring the diff guard.
Now to the event itself,Had a great time, even if it was short for me.
Meet lots of folks,saw lots of new ideas to try.Trails were everything from smooth road to bolders ,mud holes to stream crossings(right Lou),and witnessed Woody do things with his stock XJ,that were hard to believe.
Now I didn,t win any prizes but there were many to be had and the food was great,thanks to a good cook.
A big THANKS to all involved,
Wayne

Rich, you didn't miss the guard, Adam never came by to pick it up even though I begged him :smsoap: Tell ya what, I'll split the shipping with you.

Ary

P.S. To everyone who went, I'm sorry I didn't make it. I was really wanting to go and I was thinking about the event all weekend while I worked on the Heep. It now has two new axles, new suspension, and new(to me) tires/wheels. I'm sad I missed the event, but really happy the Jeep is "done"(we all know they're never done ;) )

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd also like to thank everyone for running this event, I know it's a painstaking job. It's always a great time, and this year was even better than the last. That's about it, thanks a lot. _nicko_

We're home.

Thank God, nothing worse than driving 12 hours and wheeling all weekend to make another 12 hours in a school bus.

We all had a fantastic time, the biggest problem that I have is that I need to come back, there is just so much there that I didn't see.

To those that don't know, Ang ran her first big trail, ended up being a red trail (bam bam) and she did great.

Thanks to all that made this gathering possable, it was great making more new friends and seeing old ones. The people are the best part of this group and these events, it never stops amazing me how you can meet someone for the weekend and know that they'll be life friends.

Again, Kudos to the NAC group.

Wanted to chime in too.

Stopped in Sat as a guest of Gearwhine/Nick.

Was nice to meet some of you people for the first time. Sorry I didn't have a working truck or more time to chill.

Perhaps next time as I slowly get myself more involved here again.

Appreciate the hospitality tho!

Joe (can we force Paragon to update their flipping signs?)

Well ... 711 miles and 12 hours later, Aaron and I made it home. I really want to thank everyone from the NAC for being very good hosts and putting on one hell of a weekend. We will be back too ... Paragon is one heck of a great place.

Les

I'll tip my hat to Mike and Chris as well - my first NACFest was a good one. It's just a shame scheduling didn't allow me to do more than just Friday. Ah well, maybe next year.

Now more than ever I need to get around to getting rocker armor so I can do more than the "bunny trails," as it were. (at least, the ones that are stock-height-compatible :looney: )

Also, a nod to Jeff - thanks again for the CD with the shots of me in action. They came out great.

Rob

Wayne Sihler said:
.....mud holes to stream crossings(right Lou....

To add insult to injury, when I got home last night, I decided to open up all the windows to help air-out the vehicle(it was starting to stink) -- don't I get up this morning and find out we had a bit of a rainstorm overnight. :dunce:

On the bright side....the headliner is still dry.

Thanks to ALL! My Sunday afternoon was spent rumaging at Harry's U-pull-it.

All in all, I had a great time.

Last edited:
I am glad the weather held out for us on saturday Jen and myself had a great time like always. I wish I could have done some of those trail repairs quicker for some of you guys. Next year I will try to pack another rig with more tools or just pack up the shop and work in the staging area all day while Jen beats the shitaki out of my jeep. After her running some red trails and higher black trails She may not let me drive again at NAC-Fest. I was very proud of my new wife this weekend looks like I need another jeep.

Eagle I am always willing to help out in any way that I can. I dont have the time to check the boards all the time but if you ever need to get me send me a e-maill or just give me a call.

Nextel Cup Series @PAP

I think this will be a favorite for years to come

Thanks to Mitch, Dan, and Sean We had the first ever Nextel cup Series at Paragon. Next Year I am gonna drop the hammer!!!

Back