• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end woes.

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
After running all weekend strong at Badlands, and really 'throwing some wood to it' , the front end of the XJ is in need of attention. During my normal grease and lube tour, I noticed that the left side, front shock perch is seperating from the axle. This is gonna have to be welded, so is there anything that I need to take into consideration when getting it done. Anyone near Milwaukee with a welder?
Also, I have a mean squealing coming from the front driveshaft somewhere. It is the stock unit, and I lubed the slip shaft, but nothing. There is a lot of play in the front driveshaft, so I am wondering if this may contribute(bad bearings/seals in tcase). Any help or direction would be welcome. I have not had the tcase apart and dont look forward to it. If it is a lot of loot to fix, I imagine that I will just buy an HD unit from AA. I am at a loss here, and don't know how much more I can take. I thought I was out of the woods for a couple of weeks after 2 months of chasing electrical gremlins. I just don't have it in me right now.
The rig is a 1999 with just under 4" lift, stock gears, 8.25 and hp 30, 231 case with hack and tap.
TIA

More...

Sorry to post idiot questions, but the front driveshaft ujoint is just a 1310, correct? I will try this first. Also, how much play in the front driveshaft is normal. Mine turns at the tcase and axle end, about 1/2 inch either way. Thanks in advance. Please know that I do my own work, as it becomes necessary. This has been a trouble free part of my rig for years, thusly, I have not had to learn about it. Thanks again.

Hmm... squeling??? Can you go a little deeper into the noise? I don't know of anything that squels really. Does it do it at all speeds?

Have you tried.

1. Changing the TC fluid? You could have gotten water in it.

2. Change the U-joints (most likely culprit)

3. Pull the front shaft and see if the noise is still there. it could be something else.

Exactly right, Matt. I took out the front ds to see if I could isolate the problem, and the ujoint at the pinion wasgrinding as I took it off. All good to go.

Back