• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More 44 Bronco front end questions questions

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
This might sound like a dumb one but I was under the impression you couldn't weld onto the tubing of a Bronco front end that had cast radius mounts. Can you? Can u cut the mounts?

also I am looking for a set of radius arms for cheap, Any ideas. If not I 'm gonna sell my drop brackets, re adj. arms and, steering conversion to try to build RE'S long arm up front. Can I run the long arms to the radius mounts? Does anyone have any info or pics of their jobs.

Stock Radius arms on ebay have been going for roughly 35$
You can cut the cast mounts off but it is very tricky and is probably better to retube
hear/tell at least.
Ill have pics in about a week when my Radius setup is semi bolted on.

can you weld on the axle tubing as aforementioned?

u have any pics?

clayton or RE for long arms

Thanks

If I get radius arms from a bronco, can I use them and just fab a mount for my jeep will the angles be too steep. I have seen radius arm drop on lifted fords?

I dont see why you couldnt weld on them. but im not sure
subframe.jpg

subframe2.jpg

thats farmer matts from the tech articles.
Heres a good THREAD about radius arms and XJs

Wow!Can we talk about "extreme" loss of ground clearance.Thats hanging down there pretty far!

No,I just figure since lifts in this range run about $300 per inch that Im not giving any of it back!BTW:look how perfect the driveshaft angles are,and thats with an LP D30!

Your absolutely right,the info/opinions on this forum are still the best Ive seen anywhere on the net!!!! I try to use "everything" I learn here for the next mod or revision!

mvc-008f.jpg

Last edited:
Dude thats not my Jeep.
Im answering questions trying to help.
I mean we could point out flaws in your Jeep Im sure :D

They no longer hang that low. The mounts are up flush with the cross member now. When welding on cast I like to stick weld it with a high nickle rod that's called cast weld. The arms are weldable & the mounts themselves are also weldable. Here's a newer pic of the cross member with better clearance just for RCP Phx

Matt

Sub Frame

I assume the "cast radius mount" you're asking about is the one on the right. They are found on 78-79 F-150 and Broncos. The one on the left is pre-'78.
coilmounting.jpg

You can cut it, but I wouldn't advise doing that. The mount is hollow inside and for some odd reason, Ford didn't run the tubing all the way through. The mount is welded to the end of the axle tube, which answers one of your first questions.
Here's what it looks like cut.
dana4478-79axle_cut.jpg

Here's the article that this info came from. http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html It's a great article! He also has a great article on flat knuckles for high steer.

Right on the money Patriot. The cast mount is easy to narrow because the tube doesn't go all the way through. You cut the axle close to the cast mount on the pumpkin side not the knuckle side. Grind the tube back all the way to the mount itself grinding away all of the weld. Take a punch & tap out the remaing tube in the cast piece. Cut the amount of axle tube off the axle to desired axle width & press the cast mount back on. Align the knuckles & weld it up. The orientation of the knuckle to the radius arm mount is the same & the only axle to change lengths is the inner long side. It goes without saying that you cut the axle tube back so that it will accept a readily availible factory axle shaft such as one out of a waggoneer or one out of an early bronco. Simple, dirty & cheap. This axle housing may not be as strong as many others out there touting 3/8" to 1/2" tube, but I've never seen one fail.

Matt

Back