• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre runner

HogWash

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to set my XJ up for pre runner any one have any ideas?I love speed and I love my XJ.I started doing a little bit of unorganized circle tracking down in FL. and I loved it but my suspension couldnt take it on my 04 wrangler(which was a lemon by the way) and blew out the stock shock.Yes I do have an XJ now my buds convinced me to get one so here I am

jeepspeed.com

HogWash said:
Ive checked there a couple of times and was looking for suspsion set ups ....no found
if you are going to build one, do a long arm 4-link, if you are in the market for one, Full Traction 6" long arm kit is a good start. You will need some high bucker shocks and you will need to get rid of all the stock shock mounts. There are many many things that should be done if you will be hitting rough terrain at speed and expect your xj to survive. A cage is mandatory for safety and also to stiffen the unibody, I have already cracked two windshields from the flex. PM me if you would like to discuss this further.

I am curious.. is there a difference between long arm setups, I always thought long arms were the same as REs long arms but full tractions dont appear to have the upper control arm mounted to the lower one radius arm style? is one style superior to the other?

twisted_ed said:
I am curious.. is there a difference between long arm setups, I always thought long arms were the same as REs long arms but full tractions dont appear to have the upper control arm mounted to the lower one radius arm style? is one style superior to the other?
I wouldn't say superior, they are more application specific, the full Traction stuff could be used for crawling, but is is designed more for the high speed stuff. The radius arm stuff, like RE or tnt, are more for crawling. they have different behaviors at speed. The radius arms kits ,the castor changes significantly through out the suspensions travel, where the four link doesn't.

I don't want to sound like an "know it all" cuz if you know me you know I don't know anything at all. So with that, I truely believe this is one of those things, if you have to ask... you shouldn't do it. If you really want to learn how do build a runner, the first thing you need to do is go out and do it. Go take the stocker out for a little cruize, then come home and fix whatever broke and ask yourself "what could make it better for next time?" Then do it again and again and again. Now that is the truth.

Now if it were specific or super technically related, I bet we (those with a little experience or knowhow) could help.

HogWash said:
I would like to set my XJ up for pre runner any one have any ideas?I love speed and I love my XJ.I started doing a little bit of unorganized circle tracking down in FL. and I loved it but my suspension couldnt take it on my 04 wrangler(which was a lemon by the way) and blew out the stock shock.Yes I do have an XJ now my buds convinced me to get one so here I am

There are varying degrees of pre-running........since pre-running has become a sport in itself. A full on pre-runner can be expensive and very well built, but moderate pre-running can be done with an XJ if attention is paid to strengthening suspension and shock mounts, getting a stiff front spring, good shocks, and good bumpstops.

What type of actual use and terrain are you looking at?

Back