• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTR's or KM2's or Duratrac

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so im getting ready to buy tires this weekend, and I have spend hours researching all 3. What are all your opinions? I need something that is good on the road since this is my DD and will do good in snow and off road on the weekends. O and ill be getting 33 12.50's

MTR's - all around good, great run, little road noise, have gotten a few bad reviews

KM2's - More of a AT tire, good in mud, not so noisy on the road, few bad reviews to

Duratrac - All around good tires, could use a better side wall, heard alot about punctured side wall, good on the street

The km2's look sweet, and seem to last a while.

The new mt/r is weird. But I guess it works well.

i have heard nothing but good about the MT/R. i think they look awesome as well. i am going through the same debate right now as well

my lil duratracs havent let me down yet and they are on my dd. have about 10-12k on them and havent shown much wear. GREAT in the snow and dont hum on the road. awesome on the terrain up here to. took them through the mud run not to long ago and didnt get stuck. great DD tire. pulled my buddys zj out multiple times and he has 35" km2's with a rear locker

Last edited:
The Duratrac's do extremely well down here in the rocks,no side wall issues yet!

Kevlars get 5 stars from me
KM2s get 4 stars from me
Duratracs look impressive for an A/T but have yet to see them in action

You really cannot go wrong with either the KM2 or MTR! If it were me I would run the KM2 as I have always had great success with BFG!!

Ok so im getting ready to buy tires this weekend, and I have spend hours researching all 3. What are all your opinions? I need something that is good on the road since this is my DD and will do good in snow and off road on the weekends. O and ill be getting 33 12.50's

1. Daily drivability. Duratrac's, KM2's, MTR Kevlars

2. Good off road. MTR Kevlars, KM2's, Duratrac's.

3. Good in snow. Duratracs, MTR Kevlars, KM2's

So it looks like Duratrac is #1, followed by the MTR's, and KM2's last.

Last edited:
MT/R > KM2 > Duratrac For all around performance. I don't think the duratrac is in the same league at all, so I'd only get that if you are mainly driving on the street/snow and not doing anything hardcore offroad.

I'll most likely be getting the MT/R-K's soon.

i have been running my 35x12.50 mtrs for about six months now and will never buy another tire! they are quieter than anything on the road and smooth as hell. they do better than any tire i have ever had in the snow and grip on everything. my buddy runs them in arizona on his crawler and swears by them. everyone i have met that runs them will say the same thing. these are the tires to get! many of my buddies are switching to them after seeing how well they do on my rig

KM2's here. I wasn't sure what to think of them at first but they've proven to be a great tire on the rocks. They seem to stick to everything.

That said, the kevlars will be my next tire for no other reason than the fact that I get bored easily.

Just picked up the duratracs for my jeep. I really like them and they are $50 cheaper. They more aggressive in person then they look. being that you dd you jeep i would go for dura tracs but i guess its biased lol

Love my KM2's They stick to the rocks much better than my MTR's (old style not the kevlars) did and ride great on the road.

KM/2... I've used a lot of tires over the 30+ years and find these have some amazing grip. Side by side first hand experience between MTR's & KM/2 has solidified my choice. My friend with the MTR's went to order a set and they are on a factory back order as they can't keep up with the demand. So depends on how lucky you are, they may or may not have your size in stock.

I love my KM2's. Great in the rocks, on the trail, and quiet on the road. They DO suck in the snow though. They are great in deep snow, but ice and slush are their worst enemy. If I had to drive my Jeep all year as a daily I would have gone with an AT tire, but because my XJ is a weekend warrior, I would buy the KM2 again tomorrow.

I really haven't heard anything but rave reviews from people that are running the new MTR.

I love my KM2's. Great in the rocks, on the trail, and quiet on the road. They DO suck in the snow though. They are great in deep snow, but ice and slush are their worst enemy. If I had to drive my Jeep all year as a daily I would have gone with an AT tire, but because my XJ is a weekend warrior, I would buy the KM2 again tomorrow.

Maybe the Minnesota snow is different than the Moab snow but I found them to behave not much different than my BFG T/A All-Terrains in the ice / slush. Much is said about tires not working in various conditions, but I have found that air pressure has EVERYTHING to do about grip or the lack of it. Find out what air pressure the tire likes on your vehicle for that particular terrain is key! One air pressure DOES NOT fit all. My A/T definitely had more latitude in air pressure settings. My KM/2's don't give me that latitude but once I found the sweet spot... BINGO! :angel:

KM2s!

I love my 33" KM2s! they are great on the highway and hardly make any noise for a mud tire and they ride even smoother than my old KMs. I have only been stuck once in the mud with them and that was when I was in a swamp and hit a really goopy are and sank to the axles immediately. Other than that they do great in the mud and clean out on their own just fine so they don't cake up too bad and become useless. I haven't had them on the rocks yet but I will soon and have complete confidence in them.

Back