• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How we can do better next time:

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
This will hopefully be a thread that is dug up by the next folks that plan the 35th event, whether I'm involved or not, hopefully we can help our future planning team out.

This is not to insult or take anything away from what folks did to work hard at making the 30th event successful. From helping plan Winterfest events for years, threads like can make things better for the next event.

So, what did the folks that attended the event think needed to make it even better.

mac 'constructive criticism' gyvr

I think the mayhem at the show and shine dinner was a little ridiculous.I know there were a hundred hungry wheelers there but when the burger right in front of me gets moved and everyone behind me takes them, fat kids gets sad.

I think the mayhem at the show and shine dinner was a little ridiculous.I know there were a hundred hungry wheelers there but when the burger right in front of me gets moved and everyone behind me takes them, fat kids gets sad.

I heard more than one complaint of the inconsistency there.

I had one hotdog and grabbed one for my wife, by the time we went to eat, everything was gone.

mac 'saw Wendy that night' gyvr

I agree with Sequuoia as well. One way to combat that, is to have everyone seated at their tables, first call table1, then table 2, then table3, instead of a free for all. Another option is to hand out numbers and call out 1-20, 21-40, 41-60 etc that way everyone surely gets something and the process is somewhat orderly.

Ya show and shine could have used a second or third grill and obviously a few more big bags of charcoal. Greater surface area means more burgers and dogs faster, and we also needed a greater quantity of food (there was nothing left when I came over, after waiting in the long line twice and getting denied, i was over waiting that long, time to drive into town for something, I had given up) . Also, have a large sized poster with the runs scheduled on the side of Cabin 1 at all times so if folks walk up anytime of the day, not just when registration is open, in addition to the final runs thread on the site.

Handouts for each trail run would be nice, but not a necessity. Information on the trail, map to the trail, trail map, meeting times, estimated time to run the trail, etc etc obstacles, etc. Set a tentative lunch spot on the trail (pending slow downs and breakage etc)

Also, a process setup for registration that is determined weeks before the actual event so all issues can be recognized beforehand.

Other than that the whole thing was a total blast .

Name tags with screen names AND real names

(Maybe even large writing on windows)

Show and shine dinner was lacking, but no complaints, because I left after the judging was done and finally got my fix at Pasta-jays (yum!!)

Would it be cost effective to rent out the whole campground, maybe plan far enough in advance to have the registration include camp fees as an option? I think we had a large enough group for a discounted rate (maybe I'm way off in left field with this..?)

I don't know I thought things were done pretty well!

I think the biggest issue with the show and shine was simply making the call to line up too early. That caused the people to come faster than the food could.

I agree, don't get me wrong. I know the guys at the grill were trying like hell. it just sucks for the first few people lined up that got shafted because there was not enough meat ready. That is in no way a complaint toward anyone, The food was fine there was just some confusion.

I thought we had name tags for dinner...but I never saw them.

mac 'keep the ideas coming' gyvr

Also, have a large sized poster with the runs scheduled on the side of Cabin 1 at all times so if folks walk up anytime of the day, not just when registration is open, in addition to the final runs thread on the site.

Great idea!

Information on the trail, map to the trail, trail map, meeting times, estimated time to run the trail, etc etc obstacles, etc.

Most of this information was provided ahead of time, but spread out in threaded form which is hard to locate and browse through.
An event website such at this would be awesome http://www.rr4w.com/event-details.cfm?eventid=4 so all event info could be found in one location and accessable to the masses.

Sweepstakes Tickets purchased online need to get to their recipients. I have no doubt that the tickets I bought online were in the bucket, but it would be nice to get that verification. I spoke with a number of people who did not get their tickets either.

I think a "My Name Is" for each Jeep would be cool to help with knowing who all is wheeling with you.

That and help those of us with CRS at these larger events.

And to be clear, this was a fantastic event! The small issues were irrelevant to me, and I really feel absurd for even mentioning anything. Thanks to everyone who helped with this. My daughter and I had an AWESOME time.

And to be clear, this was a fantastic event! The small issues were irrelevant to me, and I really feel absurd for even mentioning anything. Thanks to everyone who helped with this.

I totally agree, but at the same time there is no harm in a post mortem to make the next event that much better.

I totally agree, but at the same time there is no harm in a post mortem to make the next event that much better.

Which is why I start threads like this, to make it better. Whether its me in charge or someone else, its a reference point for the next event.

mac 'always looking to make it better' gyvr

I was thinking...not playing armchair admiral, but Moab is a great place to wheel and has challenges for all levels of experience & modifications. As was demonstrated by Alex & Chris a stock or slightly modified vehicle can go just about anywhere with an experinced driver.

My one suggestion especially since the milestone Fall Flings attract a larger crowd is have the 1st few days the lower numerical trails and increase the challenge/difficulty as the week progresses. Newer people can move up the numbers at their comfort level. Those that are comfortable on a 5-6 rated trail the first day go for it, but for 1st timers Schaffer trail, Gemini Bridges / Long Canyon, or Secret Spire may be a better option followed later in the week with Fins & Things, Klondike Bluffs or Seven Mile Rim and ending the week with some of the higher number trails.

Having a scenic trail on the last day is also a good option.

I was thinking...not playing armchair admiral, but Moab is a great place to wheel and has challenges for all levels of experience & modifications. As was demonstrated by Alex & Chris a stock or slightly modified vehicle can go just about anywhere with an experinced driver.

My one suggestion especially since the milestone Fall Flings attract a larger crowd is have the 1st few days the lower numerical trails and increase the challenge/difficulty as the week progresses. Newer people can move up the numbers at their comfort level. Those that are comfortable on a 5-6 rated trail the first day go for it, but for 1st timers Schaffer trail, Gemini Bridges / Long Canyon, or Secret Spire may be a better option followed later in the week with Fins & Things, Klondike Bluffs or Seven Mile Rim and ending the week with some of the higher number trails.

Having a scenic trail on the last day is also a good option.

I agree, Monday I was worried about metal masher

Thursday night I would of signed up for a Friday Pritchett run

I think nametags are a great idea too. Have our screen name and real name on them. Maybe put our screen name on the back window of our Jeep with shoe polish? It would probably last about one day before becoming covered in dust.

To that end I also have a habit of "forcing" everybody to introduce themselves on the CB whenever I lead a trail. This not only gives me a chance to figure out who everybody is but everyone with a CB also gets this information. As an added bonus it gives me an opportunity to adjust the RF gain and squelch so I can hear my group and not static or the hillbilly saying "hoooahh... hoooahh..." Some of those trail runs had me wondering if my CB was working, nobody was talking so I listened to static and hoooahh all day long. I will do the introduction on the approach to the trail when we are all bored anyways.

I start by introducing myself by screen name and real name, identify which vehicle I am driving and give a 15 second bio of myself. Then ask everyone else to do the same, moving from front to rear. It has worked great on every trail run I have done this on and I have been doing it for a few years now. It also breaks the ice and gets the group talking amongst themselves.

I'm pretty new to wheeling compared to most of you guys. I owned several 4x4s over the years, and used 'em for hunting, fishing and camping, but never modified 'em in any way or gave any real thought to serious off-roading until I bought an XJ and joined NAXJA in 2008. I did not make it to this event, but I enjoyed it vicariously through the "sucks to be you" thread and others, which I kept looking at when I should have been working. Had I known how freakin' awesome the event would be, I would have been highly motivated to get my rig squared away and get things in order at work so that I could have taken the time off and joined you all. Now I know!

My suggestion is this: for the next one, post up way in advance some pictures of this year's event and descriptions of the runs and such, so that newbies and the uninitiated will know it is something not to be missed.

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I know I have only myself to blame for not figuring it out. But some better advance publicity next time might be helpful to those who won't know what a good time they will be missing if they skip it.

Back