• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TORXreport: Moab - 30th XJ Anniversary Event

I know you like driving your rig and all but winterfest is a haul for you. Fly out and well find you a seat. I'm 50 minutes from Indianapolis international, I'll pick you up.
Oddly enough, this was exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the offer. I have a hook up when it comes to air fare. Plus it would be cool to see what MWC wheeling is all about.

I'll be keeping an eye on the WinterFest updates as the date gets closer.
Thanks for the comprehensive trip report!

The version I have heard of this superstition is that it is bad luck to run over the Gooney Bird's toes. Hence the part of the road that swings wide of the bird. Did he rub them with his hand... or his tires?

The curse of the Gooney Bird?
That's interesting to hear. I'm pretty sure Thom left some rubber on that bird's toes. :laugh:

Oddly enough, this was exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the offer. I have a hook up when it comes to air fare. Plus it would be cool to see what MWC wheeling is all about.

I'll be keeping an eye on the WinterFest updates as the date gets closer.

You're used to cold, shitty weather so that part won't phase you! :D I'll probably be leading the easier stuff again but in the afternoon's we usually branch out and do the harder stuff.

Kane Creek morning
IMG_0510.jpg

Kane Creek afternoon

IMG_0619.jpg

Yup. I wish I had paid more attention in the morning, and remembered that it's actually deeper along the sides than in the middle. On the return trip, first 3 of us took a line hugging the left bank before turning sharp to the exit on the other side. The smart ones (in the photos and videos here) took a diagonal line across the middle of the creek. I actually took on some water for the first time ever. Not enough to damage anything (the amplifiers under the rear seat stayed dry, as did Momma's laptop which was on the passenger-side floor in back) but enough to get the carpet wet front and rear on the driver's side.

It's probably time to start carrying a spare alternator like Dustin. I imagine the bearings are full of that famous red Moab sand at this point...

Great write-up, Dustin! Thanks for posting. I still haven't had time to go through all of my photos, but I'll get it done at some point.

Nice trip report, Dustin. It was good to meet, wheel, and party with you.

And for Winterfest, I could pick you up at either Chicago airport.

Great report. Finally getting caught up on this forum and all the photos.

Just one minor correction

Our group for the day. 19 XJ's, 1 MJ, 2 ZJ's, and a pristine WJ.
FF9D1B68-BAC5-484A-A2FE-4FB96C98CCD4-5305-0000049D4481FF08_zpsbb0ca8b9.jpg

There was 1 LJ also.

mac 'appreciated the presidential tow rig photo too!' gyvr

Torq report rocks! Thanks dustin for the great write up. Moab is Now really on my list of place to go
Soon. I think my girls and I have a trip in the near future.

Back