• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to Live in Colorado

I have been in Colorado Springs my entire life, all of it on the east side of town. The east side is really the only direction to grow. The town, maybe, has the infrastructure to handle 60-70% of the population. Roads are a joke. We approved a tax hike to fix potholes and repave roads and from what I have seen we've fixed more curbs than roads.

Dude, I have to work on the east side now. I hated powers. Area before... This curb BS they're doing now it's ridiculous. Barnes has been in perpetual construction for like 6-8 months now and nothing has changed.

If you're trying to escape Cali, springs gs is quickly becoming little California/Texas. It's a shame I like the proximity to the mountains and everything but I'm over the springs. Crappy terrible Montrose looks more inviting everyday.

Dude, I have to work on the east side now. I hated powers. Area before... This curb BS they're doing now it's ridiculous. Barnes has been in perpetual construction for like 6-8 months now and nothing has changed.

If you're trying to escape Cali, springs gs is quickly becoming little California/Texas. It's a shame I like the proximity to the mountains and everything but I'm over the springs. Crappy terrible Montrose looks more inviting everyday.

Don’t do it. It’s a trap. Lots of traffic. High prices. Seriously. It’s garbage. Can’t wait to leave.

Thanks guys for your input. I got some valuable perspective that helps point me in the right direction I think. I figured out a way to get out there next month to do some surveying of places to live. I'll start with a visit to friends in Aurora and on the way back visit friends just east of Salida. Then onto Buena Vista, Montrose and Grand Junction. If all goes well I'll be moving there next summer and get back in touch to do some wheelin' with you guys.

If you must love on the front range vs the western slope, be smart and move to Wyoming.

It's been a couple months since my last post so I thought I'd give an update on what happened. I've taken two weeklong trips to CO to see where I want to live and I'm going to land in Parker. I bought a new house up in the hills on the east edge of town. It's a bit of a trek to the freeways but I don't have to commute and I like the idea that there's not much between where I am and Kansas especially since I read that there's going to be a million more people in Denver metro by 2040. I'm a native Californian so I've lived with that kind of growth all my life. I feel kind of guilty doing it to someone else but I just can't take living in that leftist state anymore.

The house should be finished around late summer and hopefully in time for my daughter to start at one of the community colleges in the fall and for me to get some wheeling in before the snow. Like you guys said, I-25 is a real treat. Not as bad as Los Angeles and Orange County but I imagine it will be in the not too distant future with so many people moving in.

I'll hit you guys up when I get settled and hopefully get some runs in with some fellow XJrs.

... I just can't take living in that leftist state anymore...

You've jumped out of jelly, right into jam.

I'm afraid you've been mislead, we are left, moving left-er each day. We are also looking at the strong possibility of another leftist Governor for the next 4 to 8 years.

But good choice in Parker, it is beautiful. The only downside is the distance from the mountains.

I'm afraid you've been mislead, we are left, moving left-er each day.

Colorado is the State and home of the damn Cake shop protest . That fiasco and sanctuary city should tell you the needle is all the way Left .

I hear you guys about the leftist leaning direction Colorado is headed in. It's all about tradeoffs. My 58 year old perspective is I'll either be too old to care or dead by the time Colorado catches up to California in that regard. It's accelerating everywhere but California is so much farther down that leftist path to the point they feel it's their duty to set the example for the rest of the country.

On a much more positive note something else I've really come to appreciate in the time I've spent in Colorado so far is that people are so much friendlier, drivers are more courteous and neighbors are far more neighborly than what I experience in California. I know this is all relative and I know there are plenty of examples that contradict what I just said, but from my perspective I really like what I see and am enthusiastic about being part of that. And I've already learned that if I just avoid the I-25 it shields me from the bulk of those bad examples. :)

I'm afraid you've been mislead, we are left, moving left-er each day. We are also looking at the strong possibility of another leftist Governor for the next 4 to 8 years.

But good choice in Parker, it is beautiful. The only downside is the distance from the mountains.

That's funny about the jelly and jam! I just commented on that issue in another reply. But you're right about the distance to the mountains from Parker. At least the views of the front range from Parker are panoramic on clear days. I wasn't about to pay the lot premium for a view from my house but I only need to go for a bike ride or take my dog for a walk to see 80 or however many miles of unobstructed front range. For the most part to get to the mountains I need to drive to the 70 or the 50 to get somewhere so it's a drive no matter what. It's all one more tradeoff.

I think at some point the front range suburbs will extend to Kansas, but it should take awhile. The only limit is water. :)

West slope and weld county for the win there.

Back