• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing against the grain

Being a 2000 but not having dual cats suggests it is a Federal Emissions vehicle (or some such thing). IIRC that was a major part of what Cal was looking for in his Project Unicorn.

WRT running rich, I would wonder if the lack of input for the factory temp sensor is causing the computer to think the engine is cold and consequently running a rich mixture (fuel injection's version of a choke).

Being a 2000 but not having dual cats suggests it is a Federal Emissions vehicle (or some such thing). IIRC that was a major part of what Cal was looking for in his Project Unicorn.

WRT running rich, I would wonder if the lack of input for the factory temp sensor is causing the computer to think the engine is cold and consequently running a rich mixture (fuel injection's version of a choke).

The Federal Emissions thing rings a bell. I know that my Jeep was originally some sort of service vehicle. Had dark green and red stripes underneath the white paint. I remember back when I first got it seeing faded spots of numbers on the rear driver quarter panel. Perhaps some sort of forest service or other government application?

I think the run rich by default theory seems fairly realistic. The only other person that I’ve discussed this with came to the same conclusion.

Race this weekend at Windrock. Pretty much ready to roll. Load on the trailer tomorrow morning and hit the road.

Fixed my temp sensor issue. Carquest had the solution with this T-Fitting. Computer is happy and my Gauge is happy.

Also replaced the Intake Air Manifold Sensor. It was covered in black as suspected and was a move on the side of caution to replace it.

Rear driveshaft had its work done over at The Driveshaft Shop to replace the center section that got banged up and rebalanced (as if balancing matters for me but oh well).

Other minor things got done as well:
-Fixed front light pods
-Fixed front light bar
-Spliced driver PTT button that broke last race
-Torgue checked and paint marked everything.
-Tool/Recovery bags inventoried and strapped down
-Window Net buckles filed down for easier latching
-Washed! Imagine that

She sounds 10x better than before. Way quieter and idles fine. The Temp Sensor and IAT Sensor helped tremendously. Weather will be in the 90’s and completely dry this weekend. Best race weather we have had all year. Its gonna be bumper to bumper racing on this one. Gonna be a great time!

Also one of the more significant upgrades. Slapping one of the bad boys on my angry bird.

A lot has happened since my last post and haven’t given an update.

Two races have passed since. The first one was at Windrock Park in Tennessee. Had a ridiculous execution for qualifying the day for before race day, that basically destroyed my chances of racing competitively that weekend. If I could post the video of my qualifying run, I would. I over-estimated my speed approach to a “jump,” as it was described, and completely rocked my front right.

Things I Damaged:
-Took out the tire
-Broke the knuckle
-Ripped out the lower Balljoint
-Bent the C even more
-Bent the 7/8” King Bypass Shock Shaft and bent the bypass tube
-Cracked basically every other weld on the axle

However, the success was that for the foreseeable hours we somehow:
-Got a new set of Rare Parts ball joints
-New WJ knuckle
-Reamed it all out
-Welded the knuckle spacer on
-Installed new ball joints
-Welded as many cracked welds as we could find.

Started the next day and completed the race despite the haters thoughts. It was a successful failure. The real win to me was that the entire stock class helped tear my garbage apart while I was one the phone trying to organize logistics. You don’t see that in racing very often. Its usually pretty cut throat in motorsports.

r9ko455l.jpg

XiK9BQql.jpg

UtXIBoul.jpg

xcltEu8l.jpg

J9AX1o5l.jpg

Fk5wRbWl.jpg

0sK72A8l.jpg

j28q9uDl.jpg

OT3U58jl.jpg

KC3A9t7l.jpg

The next race was more fruitful but still not a top 3 finish that I was going for. This was up in Mine Made Adventure Park near Vest, Kentucky.

Its a very large ATV/UTV Park. Last year we had a very long course. This time it was cut to a 5 mile course with some great high speed sections. Very spectator friendly since most of the course was visible from the top of a cliff.

Pre Ran the course successfully. Made a few laps. But our issues start at the end of our last pre running lap. Lost 3rd and 4th gear. Just vanished and I was left with 3 neutrals. No problem, lets just race in High Range and use 1st and 2nd. Had to readjust the cable shifter to make that happen. Turns out 1st and 2nd in High Range as the ticket for this course. Way better for the top end as you could imagine and we needed it. The rutted out dry dusty course made things difficult and we did end up using low range on occasion.

What took us out this time wasn’t a bad qualifying. It was actually 1/2 second behind the fastest time on qualifying. We started second on race day. I found a tree halfway though lap 2 out of 3. The top of my steering box blew up. I have never seen this before. Everything else is fine. With no power steering fluid in the system I had no choice but to retire. Still an amazing time going fast and actually racing. Just drew the short straw yet again.

FlwnBzol.jpg

sIqeasel.jpg

lpIzKrpl.jpg

ujAt2AKl.jpg

a5xBTxBl.jpg

IMFPmnil.jpg

KBp7uQbl.jpg

Right now we are in the middle of repairing what is broken.

Transmission is out and rebuild kit has arrived. New Clutch kit also on the way.

The current report is this.
-Had little to no fluid in the Transmission (NV3550)
-Clutch was on its last thread. It was separating.
-Still no idea on 3rd and 4th gear. We are almost positive it is the Pin that connects the shift fork to slide between gears. Note that 3rd and 4th went simultaneously without any noise or obvious mechanical damage. The only other idea is a bent fork.

I will be tearing open trans this coming weekend if someone at the shop doesn’t do it for me by then. Also will hopefully split open the 231 case for inspection. I don’t anticipate any issue there, but I didn’t anticipate the last two races..so..

It came down to fix the transmission or put in the new Currie 44 axle. Next race is September 26th at Rush Offroad Park up in Kentucky.

Too close for missiles, switching to guns.

Good to see an update.

Bummer the results aren't as you would like them.

Did you at least teach that pesky tree its lesson?

Good to see an update.

Bummer the results aren't as you would like them.

Did you at least teach that pesky tree its lesson?

I definitely eliminated a few from existence before one got to me first. Course trails were narrow.

I think with a fresh transmission and a tamed head I should do better next time lol.

My last race of the season was back in the beginning of November at AOP. Proud to say I had zero issues and finished 2nd. After a long year of nothing but setbacks, I am glad that I was able to finish on a positive note.

Jeep drove like a dream. Fresh Currie 44 was in and everything just worked as intended. The only real thing to improve now is the rear shock valving. Need stiffer compression for jumps and hard hits. She still feels too soft. Blasting through the short course there I had to hold back because I didn’t want to crash the suspension so much.

The best moment of my race was sending it wide open in the straight aways at the main area on my way to and from the short course. I hit 5th and held it wide open and it was definitely the best feeling to have. Who doesn’t like to go fast like that?? I hauled the mail and it was silky smooth. Great way to cap my last race.

2020 I am not returning to Pro Rock. I’m a married man now and priorities are else where until the family has a firm footing then maybe I can race again. Until then its all about hitting the trails when I can. I miss the crawling days.

Its been awhile since I’ve updated this thing. I am not racing this season, so its been a pretty laid back approach to the Jeep. On top of living in Charlotte now with no shop anymore, not much to really do unless I trailer it back to the Ironman shop 4 hours away. So I’ve cleaned her up and have her stored on a friend’s property for the time being. Hoping for a Uwharrie trip sometime to stretch her legs.

YgC6ofil.jpg

In other news, finally bought my own 10K trailer. Its the same one I’ve always been using, but finally bought it out right from Ironman. Already started dressing it up and have lots of plans to do some restoration/maintenance work.

D4Rm4Kfl.jpg

In the meantime my time has been spent working on my wife’s TJ. Its an abomination on wheels, but I’m making it great again. Rear 4 Link, and old school ironman radius arms in the front from the old race Ironman jeep. These front radius arms have been through the meat grinder for years. Raced on multiple times by multiple rigs. It’s amazing that after many years of abuse, They are still perfectly fine. This is a testament to quality materials that Ironman Andy puts into his work. All they need is fresh blue paint and they will look new again. All rubber bushings are still perfectly fine. Excited to show these off.

QlmScZYl.jpg

Then some sweet 4.56 gears and detroit trutrac with the 8.8 will make it fun for her to drive. Pics to come on that fiasco.

Good to hear an update.

Careful with the trailer thing. They are like potato chips. Can't have just one...

(says the guy with at least 8 trailers (counting them starts to get tricky after awhile))

Good to hear an update.

Careful with the trailer thing. They are like potato chips. Can't have just one...

(says the guy with at least 8 trailers (counting them starts to get tricky after awhile))

That sounds like a horrible sickness. Stay away from me trailer virus.

Re-oiling this thread. Time to blow the dust off yet again and gear up for another racing venue. Plan to race in the Darkwater 100 up near Rausch Creek this year. Helped a friend race his race jeep last summer and we had a grand time. It is a 40-50 mile race for time. No major rock obstacles, its flat out trail racing. For reference on classes, look at The Line Mountain Race in PA. I fully intend to make an appearance this year. Let the games begin.

I have ordered some parts, new fan, new hubs, formulated a comprehensive check list to accomplish by August 2022. Rebuilding my spare transmission to go swap in, rebuild the tcase, and fix a lot of issues I have ignored or neglected. Front Air Bump mounts being one of them. Tired of the crooked “S” coils I currently have going on and all the popping noise I hear. Need to cut and relocate upper mounts so its straight, or at least much straighter. Everything else is small stuff. Wiring, general maintenance etc.

I don’t have any cool pics as of now, Jeep still sits outside in a field being miserable. Instead please enjoy this pic of @Ghost at Gulches this year at his Birthday Bash getting it sideways.

IMG_5589.jpg

Last edited:
Ah yes good times!

Finally been able to get some work done on this thing. First main focus has been cutting out the upper coil spring mounts and adjusting them inboard more to fix the awful coil spring angles I had. Air bumps would eat into the coils at full bump and almost ride height. I don’t know what I was thinking when I out them in years ago.

https://imgur.com/sZcrGV7

https://imgur.com/aB0rEoj

https://imgur.com/DfwWkVl

https://imgur.com/9Kw1ioe

What you see here is about as good as it will be for the passenger side. Driver is a little worse but I have some more corrections I need to do. I think the issue is the coil mounts on the Axle are actually too narrow due to the C-Gussets. I would need to cut out the mounts and move them on axle but that’s too much for now. Im already way better than before so I will roll with it.

https://imgur.com/KfxD2Pt

Also decided I should check out the air filter I haven’t touched for a few years. I am at fault for not checking it after every race. But turns out the filter did its job. If you haven't checked out Trailhead Offroad, you should snag one of their cowl intake kits. Simple yet effective kit.

https://imgur.com/YOO5EI2

https://imgur.com/OT7lqak

https://imgur.com/hysML3m

SEC Crawl at Harlan KY is in a few weeks. Hope to have the coils all buttoned up by then and a lot of other little things. Got a lot of things planned to take care of this year. Next year is hopefully race time. :cheers:

Last edited:
Would love to fix the image sizes but guess I can’t edit my own post. So that’s lame.

EDIT: Just gotta pay your taxes and you can edit your posts again.

EDIT2: Stuck with links because this board is out of date and can’t handle the truth.

Last edited:
Would love to fix the image sizes but guess I can’t edit my own post. So that’s lame.

EDIT: Just gotta pay your taxes and you can edit your posts again.

EDIT2: Stuck with links because this board is out of date and can’t handle the truth.

Yep. I've tried to get it updated but lack the computer ability or the help from ones that do.

Back