• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAN bus to CCD bus Protocol Translator(Chrysler PCM Simulator)

Some of the blank area is there for future expansion and still be able to use the same enclosure. Having a JTAG connector out there all alone is a bit silly. :p

Molex Mini50

Fair point. I dunno why I didn't recognize the connectors, I used 4 pin mini50s on a project a couple years ago. :looney:

I did manage to reduce the size somewhat. Now I need to get a lot of sleep and do more rounds of checks before sending it off for manufacturing. The SD card slot was rotated 180º the wrong way and I almost did not notice.

TranslatorGM-Top-v4.png

Hi Alexia,

Nice work.

I´m trying similar work on my 97 ZJ V8 with a Protune ECU.

Can you share some schematics and code?

Regards from Brazil

The fabrication company just sent me a picture of board number one! There are two issues with the solder mask that do not affect the board functionality that I will have to correct for production boards. Once they arrive I will make any repairs and assemble the through hole parts.

TGMEBoard1.jpg

They are here and I took a few minutes to solder on the through hole parts to board #1! I will be bringing these boards online over the next few weeks.

FourUpBoardsAngle1024.jpg

FourUpBoards1024.jpg

Alexia - did you also come up with an enclosure for this? I'm doing an ls swap into a 99 XJ and was going to build my own, but if yours is reasonably priced and has a good enclosure I'd rather just buy it. I've done lots of work on CAN avr's but never touched their SAM stuff. Seems like the feature creep got to you here :p. Are you also doing a CAN bootloader or will it be USB only?

Alexia - did you also come up with an enclosure for this? I'm doing an ls swap into a 99 XJ and was going to build my own, but if yours is reasonably priced and has a good enclosure I'd rather just buy it. I've done lots of work on CAN avr's but never touched their SAM stuff. Seems like the feature creep got to you here :p. Are you also doing a CAN bootloader or will it be USB only?

I do have a steel enclosure I designed for this that will eventually be modified for the production boards. For this small batch of five development boards I am going to just 3D print some enclosures. As you said, there is too much feature creep, so I have already designed a new PCB that is 33% smaller due to better component layout and removal of the SD card slot.

The production board is not final. I mainly removed the SD card slot for now due to the overall design cost of having a SD card included; reliability, its intended usage, and the fact that any functionality I intended to build with it would mostly be replicated by just having it exist as part of mobile application.

Do you mean being able to flash the board over CAN? At the moment it is JTAG only for flashing. Until a production board is ready these are very much "You need to know what you're doing" devices.

I am not trying to bind myself to a date, but I would love to get the final product out in time for this year's SEMA show. I have a big vision for how the whole system works and I am doing it all by myself without any funding.

Without the lid/mounting tabs shown:

Prototype2020-04-20.png

Enclosure-Closed-v25.jpg

PCBComparison.png

Flashing over CAN isn't really needed, but you've got a lot of stuff going on with this board. When the unit is mounted it could be hard to get to, and since it will be integrated with the CAN bus of choice (GM, Haltech, etc) it should be available at the DLC. It's not a big deal, just a nice to have since someone else is doing all the work. It would be nice to just have something compact to make the overhead and gauge cluster go without all the other i/o, though.

Flashing over CAN isn't really needed, but you've got a lot of stuff going on with this board. When the unit is mounted it could be hard to get to, and since it will be integrated with the CAN bus of choice (GM, Haltech, etc) it should be available at the DLC. It's not a big deal, just a nice to have since someone else is doing all the work. It would be nice to just have something compact to make the overhead and gauge cluster go without all the other i/o, though.

I am considering "slim" models later with just the most popular interfaces.

The GPIO is for items such as air conditioning request and analog output for older transmission controllers that need a TPS signal.(Or even just an analog gauge.) I have a lot of experimenting and coding to do!

It would be helpful for Gen 4 GM swaps to have those inputs, as well as cruise controls. Most of those ecms get that info over the high speed CAN from the BCM nowadays. These would be standard across pretty much all gm platforms, so you should do it :)

I am not trying to bind myself to a date, but I would love to get the final product out in time for this year's SEMA show. I have a big vision for how the whole system works and I am doing it all by myself without any funding.

Enclosure-Closed-v25.jpg

How are we doing with this? Should we get a GoFundMe account going?

I am considering "slim" models later with just the most popular interfaces.

The GPIO is for items such as air conditioning request and analog output for older transmission controllers that need a TPS signal.(Or even just an analog gauge.) I have a lot of experimenting and coding to do!

Hi Alexia! I’m too late to see your topic but I think some simmilar translation to replace entire ECU from my 2000’ XJ eith a fueltech and drive the AW4 transmission! As your versuon in haltech, I want tu preserve the cluster and drive by fueltech!

I see your github is not available anymore, maybe you done your product or can help me to translate to CCD bus the CAN stream from Fueltech? (I can help eith this!)

Back