• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3d Printer

Boot13

NAXJA Forum User
Here is one of my favorite tools to make stuff. I've already 3d printed a few things for my XJ, a shift knob (which I need to re-do) and a mount for my dash cam. I've used it to make a few other useful items in the garage and around the house.

30cLU1HtfzQOvmt-_vNVGbXxq7l9ChrenvNhUS6vpnkB7w2ltynCcBAjw3SS6FHocvALwEem8RfOT62Lwb0NvBGD3AYJ9oywW6o3iWHEg844XZvAwEyUiQL0TqPJ6d_ESG9_taf9UW8iAeTsuvjXFmoncr0BLGe6dkf6te4VfYQDo2lw_nfxxgUpYxhAjNlaAjX0jm1wt9Wi4RR-3gGyC-ouKU57EiEGoaVLc3asmA-EWCGtyVtqhCeinVoD0AmXs23qfYM41gmbCG7x5hqlEfYQmHsy0Bo669J7DtWIHJGtLCoFWKJg93HuCi0Y_1lFGFKh9h9CoAEKjxjqFw9zITeEQBlaqJ37gFAon3I0BAbD1yxiL_lmTYui1Qbpeh1BYlCmlfRacCrqBVVEbETsSjG15Dy0SAsMulH0ZlzKtkBAEqBPK7VfC6f3y5YRY2AOvsfCoYUCyjEoRDWyRfm0lrYrIA5S_OC9IlYgKY2QsqlJdigAAv18Koq76ryn0W5BgZhg4z9DBuCxu42vPRUR81togIaK3wSWUFuyK6ITsUkQGBn3m2RsrErTcKl4TQSFJZnolzQto5LhViwwVvU1KMdHFnOwuzKKM7iwInqaTctNxVsK1YnAXUqn=w800-h600-no

It is a Printrbot Simple metal with a few upgrades. Its build area is currently 6" deep x 10" wide and 9.5" tall. I mainly print with PLA but have a couple exotic flavors too.

Here are some of the colors I currently have:

N8NYrlcnUsUJjknDXhf-5SWP4I8b0lusC98xWnCwFAf6dlFk4pHn_hq4oJzAhRBOMA7qrqNp7jZ9gCBn9yEK_1ML2NDOeBft5Lc0F59JpkN-DDf_VEMh9cH8qMMNlJc-4wBtyCACRzEXMRF-_9bJ7TNSGzmF24dUFL4PqayAa-6FMccL9ZumF5tj1x5fDcjAFGHJJcCXW6gXPF2d2ZYBeUjFfE2Y8vEB8e0g4uK53jgAEC75J0akzHb6OA-Wnrx1JAvHParL1HlA8voKBfE9SuH2Eo6Q_TU_nvemamYHjdmfnD_aY_t28ocxYhBCMTHH1S7j14nIiiDHtBlemhXWXGd5ZGzlF7ILnJjlGTEhgLxguuwCkvFYum-7iB9GsIb4CzG35WT8wFMY1P1ZwrTmaAR3ozFKmLYFuDiRKMwHQeg8EDOzBC5YA4F1aECRNkfdDnENOFc2ABVhRAojuqoMW1PgUEzRZDiwkHsgN09eIHk4jFjpzRl6h49bqIxvCH3tZ_a4lxOVCEV1bDeptcjXFPqhA8tOUOzpYCbSG70Ue7WUA3WCIAoP40tm4uFPdckbJSjDnMaN2dRpVTn7aRUmEqQO1HhGGWJsZKyYiuoYDG0aidxRit13LAAg=w800-h600-no

-Boot

That's pretty neat!

I've toyed with the idea of getting one, but there are so many choices and so many price points that I haven't felt good about pulling the trigger on one. Seems they evolving every day.

They are definitely evolving every day. The big thing to understand is they are not like a printer that prints on paper. These usually require a little willingness to tweak and calibrate. Every print you do will require a little adjustment based on the model you are printing. It is not simply find model, click print and walk away.

But I have found the printer to be an awesome tool. Every day situations become opportunities to improve upon. I think my wife is getting tried of me saying "I can print something to do that." Haha

-Boot

I'm into vintage computers (Commodore 64/128s) and know a few guys that have made a home business from making long since forgotten parts for them. I wouldn't mind getting one, but it would take a ton of research before I'd be willing to part with that kind of money.

I'm into vintage computers (Commodore 64/128s) and know a few guys that have made a home business from making long since forgotten parts for them. I wouldn't mind getting one, but it would take a ton of research before I'd be willing to part with that kind of money.

They definitely can get expensive. I think with all the upgrades my printer set me back about $1,000. (not including cost of the filament)

But at the time this model was basically the best bang for the buck, its been a few years and I am sure that has all changed.

My next thing I think I am going to design and print for my jeep may be a gauge or switch holder (possibly both) that will replace the plastic piece to the right of my gauges.
I could cut up the one that is there, but I'd prefer not to. Plus it would be more fun to design and print one that will simply swap out and have the holes made into it.

I promise Im better in CAD than I am in GIMP haha. but something like the below image. I don't know what gauge would go there, maybe boost if I SC or volts for a dual battery, or pressure for onboard air? Who knows, I can always make multiple versions based on what I need to be there.

DMGL9G3_WZ38zZ_ZDm9xiThdP_JtDGz9VAjf4tnNpUc_FjFHneFVgyFD94_iwXaqdN5HKZ_lIuaCcHlUpVqOay2a5qkT6UrjcQr6zPd035MaaY4A1LbnppnDncnvBr6WOQ0TxoR6CMWUoEkccRimKsedBj0u4rYkONF4jgUKV5U58dPrqTOu2BAA_xb5As1z-CvIslc7TKs_jUrSFu7GNaY2cZur8GVJZaJefg_e481m6qq0S3eWepQKLe9RclWePDUNXKexTZuQZ7JTpO1WcmNt1pFMPoOIpgBRvEPf2ORRA54gGEGObL70Zn0AImGHUsVML65jkEfXE93oGjcSoJK4IxmeE6eIorLFNlz_FMT-i30kQ96-UsScxxImqTsq_XrmmznpT0klTb4OlH3gFJRHZ1A4MhUADStF9cs6ecentOuBkTtiSGmDibPwwsFx9GfQkux7Kz6KXQAFhdbl3wCF_V-Sl31W8oRCDKGIXS3k3t3_gU3Ko4FKT_Xfu_ebjHs1PL5Atfe41ZsrpvSoBGN3mfbZwA53yAxyg39wSMQ-VM3maCKrdRIUC1TUTE9c5ifFISgEm4db2Hni8oxe5SNH6nszYjGfn1QUmhn5WXkMVQaIweyEsPcn=w800-h600-no

Trans temp? Unlike the factory piece you could angle the gauge slightly and still have the flat areas for the switches.

Trans temp? Unlike the factory piece you could angle the gauge slightly and still have the flat areas for the switches.
Good tip on the angling it towards the driver!!
Trans temp would be a good one there too. However, I've got a 5-speed and probably not as useful. But I'd be willing to make one for someone who wanted one. Is that what is supposed to be there?

Another thing I was thinking on making was a switch pod that would attach above the rear view mirror, using the mounting points where the visor hooks are. I could design replacement hooks into the pod or sandwich the pod between the headliner and factory hooks.

Last edited:
The only thing that I know of in that location is a digital clock at the top.

I am waiting for Varmint #1 to get it figured out how to print a 3-d printer, then we will just borrow one for a couple of weeks.

:D

In all seriousness, if you are thinking about printing that dash piece, the cigarette lighter section below it is a perfect candidate for another job: Powerwerx has these panel mount switches, USB outlets, Anderson power pole outlets and marine cigarette lighters (such as this: https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-cigarette-lighter-socket-automotive ). They are all the same format. You could fit 4 of them in the space taken up by that one cigarette lighter.

Powerwerx sells a 4 hole, square panel ( https://powerwerx.com/four-hole-square-panel-mounting-plate ), but it is too large. The spacing needs to be tightened up to work for an XJ. I don't think the dust covers will be an option. It has to be tightened up, but it can fit as long as you don't mind the dash bezel covering up the edges of the flanges.

Put me in line for two if you decide to design and make it. I have been trying to figure out how to cobble something up the hard way.

I am waiting for Varmint #1 to get it figured out how to print a 3-d printer, then we will just borrow one for a couple of weeks.

:D

In all seriousness, if you are thinking about printing that dash piece, the cigarette lighter section below it is a perfect candidate for another job: Powerwerx has these panel mount switches, USB outlets, Anderson power pole outlets and marine cigarette lighters (such as this: https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-cigarette-lighter-socket-automotive ). They are all the same format. You could fit 4 of them in the space taken up by that one cigarette lighter.

Powerwerx sells a 4 hole, square panel ( https://powerwerx.com/four-hole-square-panel-mounting-plate ), but it is too large. The spacing needs to be tightened up to work for an XJ. I don't think the dust covers will be an option. It has to be tightened up, but it can fit as long as you don't mind the dash bezel covering up the edges of the flanges.

Put me in line for two if you decide to design and make it. I have been trying to figure out how to cobble something up the hard way.

Ohh good idea! I have an outlet that I stuck under the passenger side dash. However that would look a lot better. I will look into this and let you know.

looks like someone cut a ballsack out of construction paper and hung it up in the upper right hand corner of your pic. Did you just give us the goat?

Ohh good idea! I have an outlet that I stuck under the passenger side dash. However that would look a lot better. I will look into this and let you know.

Let me know if you make it happen. Even if you just make the flat plate with the recesses and leave me to figure out how to put the stand-off legs under it.

Because yes, my alternative is to put an outlet under the passenger side of the dash, but Varmint #1 already wears a size 13, and he isn't even 13 years old yet. Dadgummed Sasquatch is likely to bust up anything I mount below the dash.

Is that what is supposed to be there?

Actually, I think some of the Renix-era rigs had some sort of "sentry monitoring system" there where it had lights to tell you different fluids needed changing and such, but I've only seen one or two pics.

I also like the power socket idea Anak mentioned - something where we could mount USB connectors would be quite handy for phones and such.

Here's something else to think about - if you come up with something that turns out to be real popular, consider opening a Shapeways store and uploading the drawing file - would be less wear-and-tear on your equipment and consumables stores if something takes off...

Actually, I think some of the Renix-era rigs had some sort of "sentry monitoring system" there where it had lights to tell you different fluids needed changing and such, but I've only seen one or two pics.

I also like the power socket idea Anak mentioned - something where we could mount USB connectors would be quite handy for phones and such.

Here's something else to think about - if you come up with something that turns out to be real popular, consider opening a Shapeways store and uploading the drawing file - would be less wear-and-tear on your equipment and consumables stores if something takes off...

I will definitely consider that. I am not looking to make money off of this and will at a minimum post these up for download.

I whipped this up real quick, and am going to print a test one to see how well it fits. After that it is just a matter of adding custom holes for mounting stuff.
AyWHPYgnjhara4mDRmlSVezVEwZyZT0BWkGbIk4BwDfxniW6GdQ1EmmkDJIgIgNUKmSBqceRPSYFlzjn6w8wuyOHE_EIXFy9DdOtht1XoZbFh_lTd7kZoarlkWjCWRpWvkH4zGpKsxiX2zpqoQVcn7Y7P_5A_We0E4_MWdO6JcksFOgJw_1VMjx4v9ghXByKIW2Hj5bkTuJBPl6eGZYauBV3o3oI29HjXj7OvZEGBueHUOAULYmeTZyLk12JKrCW8rL7G6t20cUyVBx83CnFoGkKmXRVYlT1TH_g7H79-RzkdZoe3Q3YaubXpT_jdWd2AbAl9sEeJhRjLA3PpD9gCAQe2I1Qp6eGfIqcvRKk-Y3z6okloj-4iWn-1SyZVK_ARtAvh-fb1JZr5aEm6IKMDslKx-FlP5DP9FFQILo80CKS9j4YyLVZJ71CkKYtmCSpTVuMlQRcivMoKlNAVFBekbjgk2CnXyUgJwL5ta7xRCI74n4-hozL5Uovapnf3sp9LXlyIikFOwGZv87PYlApYGdPp4kpq_tEXRkd_fO-veZ_Np3TRqEB05Es8XcnquVWES3nIGmNR5vtHD7ZsvkcsGlaJf_NiZuohdHKpXqVMHlp-MMunT2aDvMk=w800-h527-no

-Boot

And now it is a tangible object! One of the most amazing things about having the printer is making some thing virtually on my computer and then holding it it my hands.

I held it up in my parts XJ dash (which is already taken apart). I will have to make a minor adjustment to one of the mounting holes but it looks like we have a winner.

I used orange because I have a couple rolls if it:

2ft2xN_PZ3yGjbBjuKWqeAP217jX0rVMLoXPyUoFm457JH34TUjETiR7Zw-Rv4N6uNraiDFA7EkRqNKuq9ZotPD9CLTDLRZw6M7Y9Fq7CQHGiTzr96JNM_s6zAv4lnvwhVZxJA2Uf2wv4S7SOFVoRFIPgIlow2Eq7eWyQco3NiupQ226dxeLauuJMXJji2F3TBBR_dr6-eASMM9-pY6COWvi4HaXhVDgelcbC-A-V3Yi2h82iM6BszJNCzrZVX7quFG97hisdxxmxkcp8K1EGIlChqU4PPZt8diWmM6S8DAAOMY0Uf4hbOTwwjztBsFBU-ISOidxD_1AAMXSkLgWw5yGGitC2EYRnXU2x5cO9Ee6fmoovUcY9_JfmBK1s_Ni0KY2bdL-NNfpR2iZZJB977LJkaJ-cjwdxNLO-Y6M3JpZlyL7u4oLs3bEm9ODe5pVYfzO1WHa0nsX3rVHPfwI7LOozQCJhHhhPOTeqIxBeGdTh1ptrA321RAnanPNVQahtPAoxE6I4fKZW6Gj5gzoU3Z7Bl4hccmWkJicFeg4TrrxCiI_qjLpSSk3y4kZU_cPMOxYhSbsH9bQjPh6eeLHdUOede3X2JSk1X6eG6WVSyzmXN6ql-XkHWBa=w1267-h950-no

Daughters B-day party today, so I will have to wait a little before I test it by installing it completely in the dash to ensure there are no interference points with molding pieces.

*EDIT snuck away and tested it. It worked!!!!!

ccyvbKjmMk4lzUNB__ofbE8f5Q2qdxn_uQY3zzqlrGkAE8KmqGQbT_rOZrMttBiklZi6ZronLHDwGoVcwmFvJO4N0GqimD6Qrdt8aGeSfQyvbEvx8ZozuNYol29UtEos39gJ_IyQqUkLWaHCTZW2qOIqtFhhfq-bKQi2NxFEOHGevt171btP0WbVPTq1PFE_1sjkUgi0-Z1MeqSKpz3i7oX1n0VD91PRdR7Kc38GM_NEJ77f2sEsZCqSOv_kCiGc-_lSGsd86_L99l6RB1gCasosr6A0oeBGtctl-7Xhn0J6PIX6P57NHfxpUOV2sUtdrO2DJQMbRJ5JAb1SIHglHCZtAkbmiB5L3nXY5jwNtU0SqLz9V0GgQ_XH5FG0HJqaJIbnST2Mtk3YKDaRmYP1_CYz3lJdnJ5gyYesvLrxatVErrXUZ5ErglHpaNmdDvNLzoPA-Zbw60bszVgSjtY02kVqGtoL4_EZXyWqhaxbsBppkQ6sb-_WVYzo6Iw6a1Mnrr5kCXULDo039VCOgeW_sq-J0VI-b3FJohJMh8-MAi3jyahGebaJmHRGSZo1pepE1A9RH0mOzUfQoIpn3T14H6XXODCJfUAwaOgfPrKyC65pGmoB53gmG2q9=w1267-h950-no

zsSDpehXL8fL1qmP617bVH-wIaDM3j1NoMBk5NOz3rWImCU4y8kU8X46_B76Travoq5u_qF0rXh0wXFb1ABEmS0NEQ0wCsqiSbub2LJC_KWRJ4isYoOO67pY5H5hkHk1_UrOiw6V0qvvQJXfErh-jWdCOAhuIm4JJ4YY5eiWKoRiPf_TD_l3r0eKBwcWrnqs-ZaIBIwnHbIe773CphHGj6Jvg3jxJAY_Dy4UU5MwHDlpb2cIfZrl1NRqD4rhilPId4PpwtjfnD423X_hZvvkwlzpwCdnikA35UhIpUtQ7n-DoBJcS6_HB3myGGS1x7vh157IqUagNScLwE7bRMs7jMEdNJptCqeVuAwH4Rla49QQodpfm-ij5LNBbp9n49tYxNbDk7AF-xymmNzA1kmToEQaDQW8B33Z88sot9NI71urO49a8B5q_NYbvPDppQaZ5a-wrrnHFaTHXpYyuujSkogAh6-JAQlyEtw0SP9UH1Ni-m4wu4gMJI33pymZVZSV3bsgm4ZkdzUK5Zg3p42v7uZ45M7eyJzlUwh3QZ9Yu2G2uFuE_bDxAR_lZ1ZSsEESp71LWtDSpRnQ32df0MpYeGrD7EyLz483paw5QvBFo52V0Cqs1APk=w1267-h950-no

To make it easier and more efficient to print I opted to not put the tab that the dash face piece screws to. Now the sky is the limit (well actually the front exposed surface area) to what we want to mount in there.

-Boot

Last edited:
Your printer works fine, your pictures on the other hand are a different matter.

Uh oh. Am I doing something wrong? I'm kinda new to this forum so if I am posting them wrong let me know.

Well, that depends. Are your pictures of a grey circle with a white line going through it?

Last edited:
Back