• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein vs Bilstein on no lift 2001 XJ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading all I can as I need to replace my shocks. Since I replaced my front lower control arms w/some beefy Teraflex monster units it definitely showed just how worn out my shocks are.

I don't have a lift and doubtful I'll ever get one so I'm keeping my options to just stock type replacements. I've been looking for a set of Bilstein 5100 but I can only find those for lifted vehicles 2" and up. All I can find is the 4600 (yellow) shock. Just to be sure before I order, is the 4600 the only one available for a non-lifted XJ?

I've also looked at a couple of the NAXJA vendor websites and can't seem to find any Bilstein shocks for non-lifted rigs... so it's either rockauto or eshocks for the best prices I can find. eshocks offers free shipping but I've had issues in the past w/the 'free' shipping nonsense in that it takes an extra week or 2 to get the product and there's no tracking for those shipping methods. It's almost worth it to me to pay the $20+ for shipping to get the shocks in a few days versus waiting 2 weeks. What is your thoughts? Appreciate the input.

I went ahead and ordered a set of front Bilstein 4600 and new bump stops from Morris 4x4... hopefully their free shipping doesn't take too long. :)

I was thinking about the same shocks for my 1994 XJ daily driver. Let us know how they ride.

I was thinking about the same shocks for my 1994 XJ daily driver. Let us know how they ride.

Will do... I'm just waiting on the free shipping to arrive. Should be here Monday but it may be the weekend before I have time to swap them in. Shipping takes about 5-7 days when it's free. I'd have been better off to order f/ 4wd as they have them for the same price and I could pick them up locally. Oh well... I always seem to find the best source after the fact for me. Nothing against Morris 4x4... just waiting on the shipping sux. Ha.

Will do... I'm just waiting on the free shipping to arrive. Should be here Monday but it may be the weekend before I have time to swap them in. Shipping takes about 5-7 days when it's free. I'd have been better off to order f/ 4wd as they have them for the same price and I could pick them up locally. Oh well... I always seem to find the best source after the fact for me. Nothing against Morris 4x4... just waiting on the shipping sux. Ha.

I just put the 4600's on the 98 sport that I am refreshing for my 16 yr old twins to drive. These shocks are incredible for ride, handling and braking control. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4600's are good. I believe OME also makes stock height shocks as well.

4600 is the way to go. I ran a set on my 99 for years then did my lift and went to the 5100 shocks. My 4600 shocks still looked and performed like new so I was able to sell them and help fund the 5100 purchase.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The 4600's should be here this week so hopefully I'll have the time to get them installed (front only and new front bumpstops) this week and report back. I need to replace my flat rear leaf springs down the road and when I do that I'll also add in new 4600's for the rear as well.

Update:

So I was able to finally get the 4600's installed this past weekend. While the ride is really nice I'm now experiencing a similar pop or squeak from the front end but it's a bit different than what it was before... if that makes any sense. Now it feels and sounds like it happens when actually going over a bump or pot-hole and sounds like it's coming f/the same spot (drivers side front or center of vehicle) It almost sounds like a bushing noise or as though something is loose. I've double checked all bolts and can't find anything that's loose. As an aside... when I first installed the 4600's I didn't loosen/cut the black zip tie which was holding the dust boot on the shock and when I lowered my XJ down it crunched up the rubber dust boot... drove it that way for about 10 miles before realizing what had happened (since it was hidden behind my wheel). So I cut the zip tie, lowered the boot down to get a better fit and then re-zip tied it back. Strange that Bilstein would zip tie these knowing they'd be compressed once installed and then you'd have to cut the tie off and add another one of your own. I think they should just included the unused zip tie and note to add it once the shock was installed and the vehicle was back on the ground.

Also of note, my KYB shocks which I replaced weren't in that bad of shape. A bit stiffer than I recalled when I put them on, but they were still holding up after ~ 70K miles of use.

So what's next is my dilemma. I don't like just throwing parts at my XJ to try and fix it. I don't necessarily mind replacing worn out parts, but don't like swapping good for good... if that makes sense.

The OE aluminum power steering spacer doesn't appear to be broke or cracked. I was thinking this might be an issue but if it's not broke/busted is it really an issue?!?!?

There is some play in the rear pinion of the front D30 and I can't really tell if it's coming from the front U-Joint in the drive shaft, the pinion bearing or maybe one of the U-joints in the front axles.... or could be all of them. I think I need to remove my front driveshaft and see if the squeak / pop goes away. I just haven't had the time to do that yet but perhaps that's the next step to process of elimination. Decisions Decisions Decisions... :|

Back