• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to torque bolts to on 8.25 diff cover?

Locrdup

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to change my diff fluids and was wonder whats the factory specs to torque the 8.25 diff cover bolts too? Dana 30 ?

Thanks

30ft lbs according to the FSM for my 98

I am going to go against the grain here, and say something that may sound stupid at first: don't worry about torqueing the bolts to a very specific value, nor in a very specific pattern, on diff. covers.

I say this for the following reasons:

1. there is no gasket used, if you are following Chryco's recommendations. Therefore, controlled gasket compression is NOT a critical factor, and torque to create such compression is thus unimportant

2. the cover bolts carry NO LOAD except for the weight of the cover. Unlike head bolts, diff carrier bolts, main bearing bolts, etc., the diff cover sees no loads, dynamic nor static, whatsoever. Thus, preloading the bolts to specified values is not critical.

I tighten my diff cover bolts to "good and snug" which in my 35+ years of wrenching equates to probably 25 ft lbs of torque. I have NEVER had one come loose, nor leak, due to bolt torque, or lack thereof.

In summary, the diff cover bolts are one part of an XJ where one can not get too concerned about torquing to spec. I will break out the torque wrench for all the "important" fasteners, but the diff cover is not one of them.......

Back