• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back Up Lights - Not NSS

coach9119

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I think I f-ed somthing up, but I'm not sure where to look. I am installing additional backup lights (hitch lights from Autozone). The lights are cheap crap, but for the price I figured it might be worth it.

for the wiring, I decided to save a little time and install them powered by the existing backup light circuit, then go back later and run another switched power line and some relays so that I can turn the lights on manually. I spliced into the brown and white wire for the backup lights, hooked up a ground and...nothing. Played with the connections a bit, tried again without splice attached to check that the back up lights were working and the lights took about 5 seconds to come on after I shifted into reverse. - time to clean the NSS! I hooked up the extra reverse lights again and everything worked for about 3 seconds then they all went dead and stayed that way.

Since the stock lights have been a little flakey, I cleaned the NSS (Jeepin.com walkthrough was a great help). The extra lights are not attached until I get the stock lights back. After the NSS work, the backup lights are still out. Brake lights, turn signals work, so I don't think it's the fuse. I checked the bulbs and they look good. Swaped in a spare bulb I had and still no go. I guess the spare and one of the bulbs could be bad, so I'll buy more tomorrow.

What do you think I did to the stock B-up circuit? There is a fuse for brake/backup lights, but since the brakes work, I don't think that's it. Is there another fuse somewhere else? Thoughts on where to look? I'm an electrical moron, so talk to me like I'm in third grade.

Thanks,
Andy

Once I get the stockers working again, I'll do something like that writeup. I had seen that before, but hadn't searched to find it again yet.

Is the tranny control module fuse in the fusebox under the dash?

coach9119 said:
Once I get the stockers working again, I'll do something like that writeup. I had seen that before, but hadn't searched to find it again yet.

Is the tranny control module fuse in the fusebox under the dash?

That fuse is in-line, under the dash, in the harness leading to the module, which lives behind dash approximately beneath the glove box.

Great, thanks. Found the "trans" fuse in the fuse box was blown so I replaced that, but no go. I'll replace the in line one this afternoon and cross my fingers.

Thanks again,
Andy

Back