• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.4L XJ...holley or not?

myjeepsbigger

NAXJA Forum User
Finally bought a 3.4L V6 to replace the 2.8 in my XJ....should really liven it up. My question is in relationship to the carb/intake setup. I will probably run an Edelbrock two-piece manifold...but has anyone used a 4160 Holley (pn 0-8007, 390cfm-4bbl) in an off-road application? I know EFI would be the way to go...but my wife says "hell no" (due to $).

Please comment....I'm in the process of getting parts together, so I can do the swap very soon.

Thnx.

I think our friend in Greece (posting as SV1CEC I believe) runs the Holley, albeit he has a 2.5L. Find one of his posts and drop him a PM.

I don't know of anyone else who runs that carb, but it gets good write-ups. If I were doing it, I'd look at one of the Edelbrock AFB clones, but that's mostly because I raced with AFBs for many years and I trust them and know how to tune them. However, thats a 4-barrel and I guess your manifold is a 2-barrel.

Edelbrock doesn't have anything down in the 350-390 cfm range. Everything they have is for 5.0+ V8', and that will seriously over-carb the 3.4, especially in the lower rpm's where we need some pulling power.

The Holley 390 seems good. I think they also have a 350, originally-intended for high-rpm Pinto and Vega 4 cyls.

I have seen test results that show the 2.8/3.4 intake manifold flows pretty well, and that the Edelbrock 2-piece (which is NOT a dual plane like their other performer manifolds) does not flow any better.
But, it's the only feasible way to mount a 4bbl.

For the package cost (Holley 4 bbl + Edelbrock man), you would come out ahead in power, cost, and fuel economy IMO by keeping the stock manifold and installing a Weber 2 bbl. See
www.webercarbs.com for a complete kit.

And, install an RV grind cam from Crane Cams.

Good luck.
-Rick

Thanks for the help, guys. I checked on the price of the Edelbrock manifold today...and I do believe I'll be keeping the stocker.

About ~$300 for the lower/upper 4V Edelbrock...and that was from AutoZone...the 'trust-worthy' parts houses were about 15% higher.

I'll look into the weber with the stock manifold...sounds like a good option.

Thanks again.

I second the Weber choice. The 38DGAS is good for upto 500cfm..Webers are simply the best. I understand that the Edelbrocks are actually Webers FYI.

XJguy

I've been playing w/ the Weber vs. CNG debate. If I go with the CNG, I should get better gas milage because the gas is ALL detonation....no carbon build up. It also flows at any angle....not unlike MPFI....since it too is under pressure.

The kit, from tank to prewarmer to carb plate adapter and delivery system is around $800 bucks.
Cheaper.....if you hunt for the parts from other sources.

Back