• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mini-spool or open front diff at Moab?

Pete M

NAXJA Forum User
Those are the *only* choices.
I have a minispool in my 78 Ford Dana 44 front, but I could swap the spider gears back in without to much difficulty (gotta pull the ring gear off to do it). There is no budget or time (I leave next Monday) for anything else. Which would you run? I do have hubs, so in theory I can unlock one if need be on a sharp turn, but that's a hassle and puts lots of stress on the remaining powered shaft. So far we're planning on running poison spider mesa, but not sure what else. I'm not an aggressive driver, I have to drive the ol' girl 1000+ miles back home after all. Oh, and if it matters to your answer, I have a tired 4.0L, AX-15, 4.10s and run 33" trxus MTs.
Jeep on!
--Pete

paste this:
73891161.jpg

on here:
93868997.jpg

I would think that it would be way to hard to turn your wheel. Might bend steering, or other stuff. If you have a rear locker, I would leave the front open. Break less stuff.

Forgot to add that I have the stock Ford posi in the rear. It's not especially powerful, but it's there.
Jeep on!
--Pete

You will be fine with either, Poison Spider can be ran open front and rear with no problem if you are a decent driver. I wouldnt worry about breaking anything with the mini spool. Besides, your front locked, in Moab, is more desireable than the rear if you have to pick one.

Back