• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first Comanche.. -Build thread-

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I picked up a 91 Comanche 4.0HO shortbed, Wednesday morning Redjeep2.0 was approached by a random man in a store parking lot that said he had a Comanche for sale..

Fast forward 4 days.. I bought it!

The downside is it is a 2wd, but it's lifted 3-4" with control arm drop brackets and mixed wheels and tires

Surprisingly the interior and engine bay were fairly clean, with rubber floors and a Column shifter..

We settled on a price and I drove it off to work today!

I wasn't really in the market, but I already love the rig.. I hope to keep it awhile!

Plans as of now, are to find a aw4/231 and toss my LP30/d44a in it.. With 3.73s and some 31" tires

We'll see what comes of this rigs future

The jeep had 3 different sized tires.. Today I tossed a full matching set of wheels and tires on it..

The Guy I bought it from, stated the transmission needed rebuilt or replaced because it didn't shift right..

I sourced the problem and gave it a $0.35 rebuild

It shifts 100% perfectly now

I've sourced a 231, just looking for an AW4

Also picked up a 77 f150 HP44 with f250 flattop knuckles, A 9" with 8.8" disc brakes and 4 wheels

I have new 5.13s, and install kits.. have not decided the locker direction yet

Won't be doing this until the ZJ is back off jack stands

Shooting for a 5.5" lift and 35s

Last edited:
44/9 and 35's changed from 31's and stock axles. :roflmao: Glad im not only one who cant make up their mind. Stoked to see a good MJ build so i can be jealous.

Picked up an aw4/231 from a 96 Xj
And the guy tossed in some browndog motor mounts

So far, I've had the truck 6 days, and I've accumulated almost everything for the 4wd conversion with 1/2 ton axles

Nice find.

I've calculated I'm getting about 14.5 mpg with stock size tires, I suspect I should be seeing atleast 17.5mpg

So I spent $99 on a cheap tune up.. We'll see if I get my money back

While crawling underneath for the first time, to swap the o2 sensor, I discovered the little oil leak I knew about is actually pretty damn bad.. Also took note of the custom exhaust manifold mounting hardware!

Last edited:
I've calculated I'm getting about 14.5 mpg with stock size tires, I suspect I should be seeing atleast 17.5mpg

So I spent $99 on a cheap tune up.. We'll see if I get my money back

While crawling underneath for the first time, to swap the o2 sensor, I discovered the little oil leak I knew about is actually pretty damn bad.. Also took note of the custom exhaust manifold mounting hardware!

Always wondered what a muffler bearing really looked like.

I am really jealous right now. I wish I could go back four years and not have sold my 91 MJ! I loved the 4.0HO, AX15, NP231, D30 and 8.8 with 3.73's on 31's on a budget 2" lift. Perfect rig.

With mostly city driving during my daily commute I average 17-18ish. 1988 MJ 4.0L pukegoat, 2WD F8.8 3.73, about 3" lift and 265/70R17.
So, yes you should be getting better than 14.

Brakes have been pulling.. Think I found the issue! $10 pads and $60 rotors solved that

And picked up some LED interior lights

Black is ground, yellow is door switch(ground). Red is 12v (+)

Last edited:
Back