• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Comanche build thread

XJ-ARNIE

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I should probably finish my XJ first, but oh well. I guess I'm working on both now. I just started my build of an 89 MJ, its getting a ford 302, coilovers all the way around, full rollcage (including bed) fiberglass bumped fenders, dana 44's front and back, 33's, and shitloads of travel...The idea is to build this jeep to be a baja racer. I understand that 302 disqualifies it for jeepspeed, but it will eventually be getting a 401. I plan on running an NV4500 and NP231. Ill post pics of the truck and the motor which I literally just spent 300 bucks on. Its gonna be a fun build. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. Also, if you come across some parts you might think will be useful, let me know of that to. Thanks alot!

GEDC0119.jpg

here is the block. Just finished honing and painting and making sure everything checked out. Its in great shape, the PO only used for drag...it was in a 94 mustang....sorry the picture blows. Im no photographer

no pic...I wanna see the ol' girl...

btw...the aluminum valve cover on the 4 banger in it is worth some cash...

Heres the 302 and what ive done so far. Progress is slow, but were moving along. Its mostly a stock 84 stang motor, (sorry i said 94 before)

GEDC0135.jpg

GEDC0136.jpg

Got this out of a wonder-bread truck. Its a Borg and Warner t-19, and it has a rebuild tag on it from 2006. Far out! 150 bucks, cant go wrong.

GEDC0137.jpg

GEDC0138.jpg

why so much hate on 5.0's?? Also, I know i said NV4500, and a 231, but plans change. especially when you get a trans for 150 bucks. lol.

the five-o used to chase me through the hood and damn near put a cap in a brutha! dat is why I gotz no luv fo da five-o!! :D Werd...

I knew that was coming. I have a pic to show you one of these days tyler....one of those parody "motovational posters"

no one has answered me?! why so much hate on the five-o??
Because I had one in my F-150, never could get it to run very well and it was. A PITA to work on. If that truck had a 300 in it I would have never sold it.

I love the 5.0... so take lots of notes. I have been wanting to do this with a 94 or 95 stang motor and harness for a while now.

I had the 302 in my 89 van, and while somewhat underpowered for a 3/4 ton extended van full of tools, it always ran great. Also put a '68 302 in my '76 F150, and that had pretty decent power, never any problems.

Had a buddy that put a later model 5.0 HO with the 5-speed in a Ranger. He did some trick heads and some other minor mods to it, was scary fast.

I like the 5.0, there is a ton of 5.0 knowledge floating around my job about them, if i ever blow up my 4.0 i will be looking into the swap chances are i can get a fairly built one for a good price 4 or 5 guys at work build them,sell them, build them, sell them, and build them again

Back