• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Build #2

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well some of you may remember my first Comanche...

Comanche101507005.jpg

It was a 1988 Pioneer. Started out a 2wd 4.0/BA-10 and I converted it to a 4.0/BA-10/231, lifted it 4.5" but cobbled pretty heavily every step of the way.

Well, almost 2 years and much more experience later I am starting another MJ project. This is a 1989 Eliminator. It is 2wd with a blown 4.0 and is a BA-10 unit also.

I am in the process of gutting it mostly and putting a dash/wiring harness out of a 1991 Comanche into it. I have a 4.0 out of a 97 as well as an AW4 and 231 out of a 1989 to go in. The engine will receive the 99+ intake and a fresh paintjob amongst other things.

I also have a 4.56 geared axles to go into it and a TNT bellypan that I just scored cheap off eBay. The main debate I'm having with myself is whether to lift it 4.5" and stick with 33"s or go 6" and go to 35"s.

The interior is going to get charcoal leather WJ seats, a 97+ XJ console, and custom black plastics/carpet/headliner. I'm also going to chop a 97+ XJ overhead console and install a Gentex autodim/compass/temperature mirror.

The exterior is going to end up being 97+ Cherokee from the doors forward. I already have doors, fenders and a header panel for the conversion. It will then be shot Duplicolor "Grabber Green". I started spraying a test area and even out of a spray can that engine enamel amazes me, it turns out looking very professional and as though it has a clear coat. I am also going to grind down the tabs and have a 94+ windshield installed with the rubber gasket which I've never seen done in a Comanche, I'm sure someone has, but I've never seen it in person. I think it will be pretty cool.

I will stop babbling now and get to the pics.

Unloading9.jpg

Unloading1.jpg

Unloading4.jpg

Unloading11.jpg

Rank interior...
Unloading19.jpg

Bitchin trash can...
Unloading13.jpg

Sunkist anyone?
Unloading16.jpg

Feel free to drop me your comments/opinions on my build guys, always happy to hear them.
Thanks for looking,
Collin

Last edited:
The little bit of progress I've made up til last night...it's on 15x8 Outlaw IIs and some very bald 33" BFG All Terrains. The engine/trans are out and most of the dash is as well.

89ComancheEliminator002.jpg

89ComancheEliminator003.jpg

Looks like your off to a good start, Collin. From the looks of those rocker panels that must have been a local find, huh. lol

Looks like your off to a good start, Collin. From the looks of those rocker panels that must have been a local find, huh. lol
Haha yeah Michael, it was from Centerville (Southern Iowa), poor Comanches are hard to find with decent rockers these days unfortunately. It'll work out well in the long run because I'm going to end up welding boxed steel in place of them anyway though.

how much did the PO pay you to haul that off?
Not near enough, let me tell ya.

I can see the potential in this rig. Glad to see you taking on the project, and looking forward to the end product. Just call if I can be of any assistance. :thumbup:

I can see the potential in this rig. Glad to see you taking on the project, and looking forward to the end product. Just call if I can be of any assistance. :thumbup:
Thanks again for scoring it for me Tyler, I know I'm going to be happy with the end result, no matter how far down the line it is :).

I'm also going to chop a 97+ XJ overhead console and install a Gentex autodim/compass/temperature mirror.
Curious why you are going to install an overhead console whose functions are not going to work. The console works off of the '97+ electrics. Without the newer computer, I think all you are going to have is a fancy sunglasses holder.

I am also going to grind down the tabs and have a 94+ windshield installed with the rubber gasket which I've never seen done in a Comanche, I'm sure someone has, but I've never seen it in person. I think it will be pretty cool.
Yes it has been done, yes it does look "pretty cool".........:cool:

Curious why you are going to install an overhead console whose functions are not going to work. The console works off of the '97+ electrics. Without the newer computer, I think all you are going to have is a fancy sunglasses holder.
The CCD Bus (Data Link) is not required for the compass/temperature and timer functions to work. I had one in my 1990 a couple years ago and while the fuel mileage, etc. is useless, it's still a better console all-around than the older ones. The one other upside to it is it will be a reference point for me to install my shorter visors to. Right now my Comanche has the long paper-thin sun visors, when I get the headliner recovered I'm going to install newer style ones with the lit mirrors and the OHC will be a great marker on where to drill the holes.

Yes it has been done, yes it does look "pretty cool".........:cool:
Excellent, I love being one of the cool kids :cool:. Play on playa.

Last edited:
Turn in all those cans & bottles in the bed & your half way $'s for a lift. Just kidding, why not just gut it & make it a trail only rig?

Turn in all those cans & bottles in the bed & your half way $'s for a lift. Just kidding, why not just gut it & make it a trail only rig?
Yeah those cans are all in the trash, unfortunately half of them were full of either urine and/or chew. It will be a trail rig too, I will use it, but I need to have another road warrior as well, I want it as a fairly suitable replacement for the 99 I just sold.

Last edited:
Then why are you getting a mirror with the same functions built in, a bit redundant I think. I personally would opt for just an autodimming mirror in that case.
I did it in my 99 XJ...
Temperature.jpg

In that case it worked well because I would keep the OHC on the MPG functions mostly. Since this one won't have the readout though, you're right, it would look odd. I suppose I'll get an autodim only. Thanks for the input Kittrell.

Yeah those cans are all in the trash, unfortunately half of them were full of either urine and/or chew.

Dang dude you just discribed me cleaning my garage.

Well, I have decided to take a slightly different turn with this project. After I pulled the carpet up I got that really uneasy feeling in my stomach. The passenger side pan is really in good shape all things considered but the driver's side is more or less gone. To make things worse (or better depending on how you look at it) Comanches have the added floor bracing that can hide more cancer.

So...I am going to drill out all the spotwelds of the factory braces and use the 95-01 XJ floor braces along with newer XJ sliders and WJ seats. I've also decided I'm finally going to ante up and use one of the 97+ dashes and wiring harness that I have laying around. So there may be some added time involved in this and bugs to work out but...it's going to be a full 97+ MJ when it's finished.

I will have pictures of the floor pans as well as the slew of new goodies for it up later today.

looking forward to the pics Collin, it has truely become a "project" in all meanings of the word!

Here are the first batch of pictures from today, the rest will come much later tonite.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Back