• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Mechanic? Good fabricator? (Portland area)

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
Folks,
I'm wondering if you know any good mechanics in the Portland area. My XJ has a weird rattle/grind that happens only at 2000-2200 RPM in gear, and I've checked everything and I'm stumped. The only idea I have is that it might be the transfer case chain going out and I want to verify that before I order one. Even with that said, I'm really swamped at school, work, and with a newborn and would gladly pay someone to put it in if that ends up being the issue.
With that said, if you think you're pretty good and could use some cash, I'm not opposed to it either. I would have the person take the rig for a few days/week (not my daily driver) and just figure out if there's anything else wrong with it.

On a side note, anyone know a fabricator that builds trusses? I have a D35 I want to truss. I actually own a truss for it that could be welded on, or someone could make a new one. Oh, and if they have some time, I have a set of guards I bolted on that I'd like welded too.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you have on some reliable people! =)

-Mike
Reply, PM me here, or text: 503-442-1964

Mountain air offroad up past sandy, he's the best mechanic I've dealt with. He is very knowledgable and builds jeep. Also, specfab is a great guy and knows his stuff too

His name is Shane Fay, and he's up in bright wood Oregon, about a mile past the big RV park. He worked at the jeep dealership in Gresham before they turned it into the jeep dodge Chrysler place. He is very very knowledgable, and have allllllll the factory service manuals you could ever ask for, that's how we found out where the splice is in the main harness for the ground wire that the tps and map share. I've heard from others he builds a hell of an engine and from hearing the built 4.0 that is in his cj8 I believe it. I have nothing bad to say about him, he is a great guy, great mechanic, and has very fair pricing for labor.

I have his business card in my jeep so ill take a picture of it when I get home and post it up

jaja2upu.jpg

Oh yea, I know him. Well don't know him but know who he is. I was lost at TSF last year during the challenge and he showed took me back to camp.

Back