• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding shackle boxes

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a little help rebuilding my shackle boxes. I've looked at aftermarket shackle relocation kits and they all seem to still require use of my nut hump. Problem is that the bolt is seized in the nut and I ended up breaking my bolt extractor so I either need to rebuild the nut hump or just completely rebuild the shackle box.
Here is what I would like to do:
  • Remove all remnants of the original shackle box and outside bumper nuts
  • Get some 4.5" c channel and box of the front and rear ends for support.
  • Drill holes through the top to go through the top of the c channel through the floor of the jeep for support.
  • Drill two holes in the rear plate in line with the bumper mounting nuts and knock of the existing nuts and weld my own in the new bracket to tie this into the bumper
  • Weld plate to bottom of c channel and extend it to the nut strip
  • Weld angle to the bottom plate for mounting holes for the shackle

If I was to use 4.5" box instead of c channel and weld it in place in front, bottom and outside rear, would that be enough support to not need the upper bolts or nut strip extension? I need to replace the bumper mount nuts anyway so I will still want to use it as a bumper tie in anyway?

Dan- Did you try putting heat on the nut hump before you tried removing the bolt? The factory shackle bolts are coated in red Loctite and heat from even a propane torch should loosen them up.

one you manager to get the bolt out, Hd offroad makes a no lift shackle relocation kit that provides a heavyier shackle box that goes inplace of the old one.saves you from trying to make one plus you get shackle relocation ability.

Dan- Did you try putting heat on the nut hump before you tried removing the bolt? The factory shackle bolts are coated in red Loctite and heat from even a propane torch should loosen them up.

Yes but it's too late now anyway. Bolt sheared flush with the hump. Tried extractor and welding another bolt.

one you manager to get the bolt out, Hd offroad makes a no lift shackle relocation kit that provides a heavyier shackle box that goes inplace of the old one.saves you from trying to make one plus you get shackle relocation ability.

Bolt isn't coming out. I don't want to tuck my rear quarters yet so I can't get a drill in there straight enough to drill the old bolt out and retap the nut.

Have you considered getting rid of the shackles and welding in leaf sliders?

I have but haven't researched this in much detail. The few threads I read were hit and miss as to whether or not sliders actually hold up. Plus they seem like a lot more work but the base box would still be the same so maybe I'll look at them more and see if I can start with one of their designs.

You do not have to use the hump for the HD no lift brackets, it just helps with the spacing. And of course you won't be able to use that bolt, but if you use all the other mounting locations for the brackets you will be good.

Also, if there is something that fits what I need already out there and I just missed it, please let me know.

Synergy makes an adjustable bolt-in shackle box that replaces the stamped sheet metal box

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-XJ-Rear-Shackle-Hanger-Bracket-p-31096.html

8242-D2-600.jpg

You do not have to use the hump for the HD no lift brackets, it just helps with the spacing. And of course you won't be able to use that bolt, but if you use all the other mounting locations for the brackets you will be good.

I got the impression from some of your comments on other threads about these that I had to use the existing shackle hole to make the brackets stable. I don't plan on ever removing them so I guess I could use that hole as a plug weld too.

If you think it will be stable, then I'll just get yours and move on to something more fun. Maybe I can put a cap on the rear end of your bracket and still use it to tie in the outer bumper bolts.

I got the impression from some of your comments on other threads about these that I had to use the existing shackle hole to make the brackets stable. I don't plan on ever removing them so I guess I could use that hole as a plug weld too.

If you think it will be stable, then I'll just get yours and move on to something more fun. Maybe I can put a cap on the rear end of your bracket and still use it to tie in the outer bumper bolts.

It's to help space and its an extra bolt for strength, its an easy one to put in (which is why I include it). If you use the floor bolts and hitch bolts its waaaaaaaaay stronger than stock.

If you're interested in relocating the shackles, I just plated up the factory mounts with 3/16, welded the crap out of them and then put on some shackle mounts on the bottom. Has worked great for 6+ years and cost like $20

I have used both HD offroad options. I really liked the original 'lift' model but found the 'no lift' model inadequate in its mounting and very difficult to use.

I brought my problems with it up and was basically told "we disagree with you". So we cut them off of the car and did something else.

I'd use the original config any time without hesitation, but I want something no lift for the new car, and I'm happy to pay $70 more for what looks like better mounting, and better customer service.

Cal, you told me you welded them in before you test fit anything what did you want me to do for you. Tell the whole story before you throw people under the bus.

Back