• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails/Camping Suggestion near Reno

cleanEG

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

I'm planning an epic trip in my XJ with my Dad and a good friend of mine with his 4runner. We'll be in the Reno area May 1st and 2nd and I'm trying to locate a trail/camping location that will be accessible in the Tahoe area at that time. The Rubicon will probably be covered in snow so I'm looking for something fun, challenging with a nice lake destination. Any suggestions would be helpful. As for difficulty, I'm thinking medium since I have to drive my rig back to SoCal. Thanks!

Jason

A build list of all vehicles going would be helpful to suggest trails to wheel.

Sure thing, I have a 99 XJ 4.5" superflex kit, fully armored, chromo shafts, locked front and rear, 4.88s, on 33's. My buddy has 2015 4runner, 3.5" lift on 34" tires, armored, no lockers, just toyotas A-trac system. I've wheeled with him in Moab on Poison Spyder Mesa, top of the world, Dishpan springs in BigBear and several other trails. It's no rock crawler, but he's not afraid to tackle some trails. However, with that said, we are driving these rigs 1200 miles from SoCal through Death Valley, up through central Nevada, across the 50 to Reno and then eventually back down the 395 home.

Ideally something mild would be great. Thanks!

Sure thing, I have a 99 XJ 4.5" superflex kit, fully armored, chromo shafts, locked front and rear, 4.88s, on 33's. My buddy has 2015 4runner, 3.5" lift on 34" tires, armored, no lockers, just toyotas A-trac system. I've wheeled with him in Moab on Poison Spyder Mesa, top of the world, Dishpan springs in BigBear and several other trails. It's no rock crawler, but he's not afraid to tackle some trails. However, with that said, we are driving these rigs 1200 miles from SoCal through Death Valley, up through central Nevada, across the 50 to Reno and then eventually back down the 395 home.

Ideally something mild would be great. More interested in scenery such as lakes, forests and streams then wheeling. Thanks!

Fallen Leaf Lake campground is nice, there is a 4 wheel park/recreation area 5 min from it and obviously access to all the trails in Nevada. You might also want to check out Graegle (there are a few campgrounds in the area and a nice brewery). Once again it is close to MANY trails from mild to hard. I will get back to you on the specific campgrounds and trails when I get home.

Back