• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maybe a stupid question?

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
when you are disconected how are you suppost to highlift it high enough to change a tire? (like i said this might be a stupid question).

The only stupid question is the question that went un asked...

When you say "disconected" I am guessing that you mean the sway bar.... Either way, the best bet is to carry a chain.. Run the chain under the axle, and hook it to anyhing on the frame that you can. Then lift the Jeep from the bumper or rock rails, and the axle (and tire) will come up with it...

An 8 foot High lift jack? Probably the shocks are gonna bottom out.
Not that dumb of a question. I trimmed my high lift jack a bit, so it would fit cross ways under the back seat. The first time I tried to use it on the bumper, to lift a tire out of a hole, I ran out of jack. Thats when some rocks come in handy, to pile under the jack base.
I've since picked up a small 2 ton floor jack, lifting under the axle, is often easier.
I've used a strap to tie up the axle, but it's often hard to find a good spot to tie to.

the chain idea is neat, but i use a bottle jack that i picked up at wal mart for 10-12$ gets the job done and stores nicely.

Ramsey said:
the chain idea is neat, but i use a bottle jack that i picked up at wal mart for 10-12$ gets the job done and stores nicely.

This is the easiest and safest way.

dmntxn77 said:
Yeah, that will work about half the time... The other half you will crack you head open when the rocks slip... :rolleyes:

Is that the voice of experience speaking? I've managed to live more than twice as long as you, without using my head as a bump stop for a High Jack.

If the jack handle doesn't slap you under the chin first, I guess the jack slipping off of the rocks will get you. High Jacks are dangerous no matter what you do.
Sometimes you got to do, what you got to do.
A couple of good things about a small floor jack (don't buy the cheapest) is they can be placed without crawling underneath (very far), they don't sink into the ground as easily as a bottle jack and they have a larger base that helps with stability. Bad points, the wieght adds up, (they aren't light)and they should be tied down. I actually started carrying one, to put my chains on, sure makes that easier.

Last edited:
Yes, that is experiance speaking... Hi-lifts are great, but they ARE dangeous...

BTW.. If you are over twice as old as me, then you must be pushing 60...

dmntxn77 said:
Yes, that is experiance speaking... Hi-lifts are great, but they ARE dangeous...

BTW.. If you are over twice as old as me, then you must be pushing 60...
YUP!

go to the hi-lift website and look under accessories. they make an attachment that goes on the hi-lift jack so that you can attach it directly to the wheel and jack it up that way. you will still need at least one of those little jack stands to place under the axle once you get it up in the air.

i bought one to try and it works pretty good. there is one downfall though. you have to keep it centered. with the weight of the vehicle on it, if the tire is off center it can rotate the tire and drop the vehicle. don't ask how i know.

like somebody else mentioned. hi-lifts are like duct tape if used right, and dangerous if used wrong.

it worked so nice and easy, i even bought one for my wife to use. she carries her hi-lift, wheel attachement and a little jackstand in her jeep all the time.
but luckily she has never had to use it.

Here ya go....

xj31small1wi.jpg

Back